ideas to remove broken fence post?

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
lots of wing broke one of the 4X4 posts flush with the ground. could have been a low flying cow that smacked it but no way to prove that...and we know pigs don't fly. I've gotten about six inches of old post removed, drilled another 12 inches down the center of that. not sure how deep they go. Thought was drive a metal rod thru the center hole, drill the new post to accept the rod and epoxy the whole she-bang. any ideas? if I knew a family of termites I'd invite them over for a few meals, but they might go elsewhere for dessert. thanks for any and all ideas! Bob
one just came to mind but I don't think a stick of dynamite would be allowed in the area.

lots of wing broke one of the 4X4 posts flush with the ground. could have been a low flying cow that smacked it but no way to prove that...and we know pigs don't fly. I've gotten about six inches of old post removed, drilled another 12 inches down the center of that. not sure how deep they go. Thought was drive a metal rod thru the center hole, drill the new post to accept the rod and epoxy the whole she-bang. any ideas? if I knew a family of termites I'd invite them over for a few meals, but they might go elsewhere for dessert. thanks for any and all ideas! Bob
one just came to mind but I don't think a stick of dynamite would be allowed in the The broke off one is at ground level or lower, dig for a new post.

A bit confused here

Dig down to extract post or dig a new hole beside old post and install a new post?
Ideally the post would be down at frost level possibly cemented in?

Now if it's an anchor post (corner) the best way is to dig down to frost level put 4 cross beams on the bottom about 3-6' long We than throw a tire over the pole to put more surface area at the bottom and bury it all.
It's how we hang our gates and they have not sagged in 40 years. So must be done right

We did get some faulty fiberglass hydro poles and have been using those lately but normally we use cement posts.

But if it's your white picket fence in town negate all the ideas I mentioned other than digging with shovel

Last edited:
I've had this happen.....concrete surrounding a 4 x 4 post.
I take a long drill bit in a 1/2" drill and put several holes in the stub until I can break the pieces up and pull them out. I'll often shove another 4 x 4 back in and be done with it.

Thread a lag bolt down into it, securing a chain to it. Then use a tractor bucket or engine hoist to pull it up.

I have always dug down enough to wrap a medium link chain around it then I use my bumper jack hooked in a link and jack it up outta there.

A tire mounted and aired up works sometimes, chain around the post, tire under chain so it will roll, and pull on the long end.

Or maybe try to pull it out with your engine puller..............

1668035038439.png

I have a fence post jack...looks like a bumper jack for a 4X4 but nothing was left above the concrete, ground level. might try lag bolt and chain, I can almost get to the engine hoist. Fire idea didn't get far, I was afraid concrete might shatter.

I've dug them out, and used my Rotary Hammer ( Dewalt 20 chipper w/ a concrete breaker bit) and pulled em. IN LITTLE PIECES!!!!!!!

I have a fence post jack...looks like a bumper jack for a 4X4 but nothing was left above the concrete, ground level. might try lag bolt and chain, I can almost get to the engine hoist. Fire idea didn't get far, I was afraid concrete might shatter.
Oh .. this in in a concrete slab ? I was picturing a typical backyard fence.

concrete around post with asphalt driveway. IF the wood would splinter, that would be great but it's more like a soggy mush. I guess after 25+ years it's entitled to have it's problems.

In that case I would go at it with a 1 1/4” hole drill .Might need an extension to get deep.

7ECE8963-9ECF-4F34-BA97-6D2896FA6649.png

Cut it off flush with the concrete. Take some angle iron, and mount at the end of the post. Drill the other side of the angle iron to accept some concrete bolts, and bolt the new post to the concrete.

If this is mushy as you say you can take a long chisel, pry bar, some post hole diggers, and maybe a son, grandson, or the neighbor's kid to it.IF I was there I'd do it for you, Man, I do **** like that all the time, when i have to. Comes with being a bathroom tech you tend to have to manipulate things in concrete to relocate toilets and shower drains

If this is mushy as you say you can take a long chisel, pry bar, some post hole diggers, and maybe a son, grandson, or the neighbor's kid to it.IF I was there I'd do it for you, Man, I do **** like that all the time, when i have to. Comes with being a bathroom tech you tend to have to manipulate things in concrete to relocate toilets and shower drains
I've done the pry bar and removed some material. trying to save the concrete to place the new post in. I'll get a picture here soon.

I used a 3/8" metal bit to make the center hole, bit is 10" plus however much of the drill fit in the opening. the extension is around here...somewhere. so much for organization.
Now pour some oil or diesel in that hole and light it
By tomorrow, you should be able to remove it

I used a 3/8" metal bit to make the center hole, bit is 10" plus however much of the drill fit in the opening. the extension is around here...somewhere. so much for organization.
I sure wish someone made a “somewhere” locater ! That would save save us all a lot of time and money …lol

I'm likely a day late and a dollar short cuz you have likely fixed it by now but I fixed a buddy's post very similar to your situation. I drilled out the center as much as possible. It was roughly a foot down to the existing old post. I used a " post spike" and drove it down in the hole ( using the cut off from the new post) into the old post just before the bottom square part was 2 inches above the concrete. I mixed up some concrete and poured it around and down into the hole. I attached the new post and drove it down below the level of the driveway another inch and used a little more concrete to level off around the post. A day later I attached the gate. It has held up well.

Screenshot_20221110-130223_Chrome.jpg

Now pour some oil or diesel in that hole and light it
By tomorrow, you should be able to remove it
"supposedly" there is a "tube" that runs near the fence line. neighbor said it was put in to drain or divert a stream between the properties. unsure about that BUT my luck, setting a fire like that will end up in a blow torch lifting sewer covers. next you'll be hearing about house explosions because a guy was trying to remove a fence post. but I do like the idea!

-
Back