Identify crank pulley 1971 360 from Chrysler

-

Spadman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just realized while thinking of adding air to my 1970 Dart Swinger 340 build, (original motor not with car) that the 360 I’m building may have been from an air conditioned car. I took pictures of my crank pulley which appears to have three grooves. Does anyone know what belts the three grooves were for? Hoping to save buying aftermarket pulleys and brackets.

6874B81A-DBA8-4D75-B947-A74FA245D16E.jpeg

751370BB-3EC5-4AB3-BEF5-944AC6A9513C.jpeg

C666A6D0-F138-4FFA-AAF4-067753174838.jpeg

The two inner grooves: Crank, A/C, and alternator.
Outer groove: Crank, water pump, and power steering.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate this forum.

The car had a 318 in it when I got it in 1988 that I pulled then and picked up the 360. I went through the 360 but never installed it and moved away. A little over a year ago my “barn find” (from my barn) saw the light again. I remember where the power steering was located, and assume the alternator was high left. Where would the ac compressor have been mounted?

The car had a 318 in it when I got it in 1988 that I pulled then and picked up the 360. I went through the 360 but never installed it and moved away. A little over a year ago my “barn find” (from my barn) saw the light again. I remember where the power steering was located, and assume the alternator was high left. Where would the ac compressor have been mounted?
Top center-ish.
ogLhR_AQHaFj?w=218&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

BTW, the alt. is "high right"- placement is referenced as if you're sitting in the driver's seat, not looking at it from the front.

Thank you so much. The picture is great info. I don’ see the ps. It must be lower on left than I thought or is this a manual steering?

I went digging in my old shop yesterday and found a treasure trove of brackets and bolts in ziplock bags from when I took the 318 out years ago. It did not have air. It did not have the three groove crank pulley. That came from the 360 I built in the late 80s but never used till now. I hope I can piece together from the two what I need. Thanks again everyone for the help.

remember that the water pump pulley for the AC cars is much smaller in diameter and much shallower than the one for a non-AC car. I mean really small in diameter. It makes the water pump spin faster to flow more water in the 3 core radiator that rounds out the package.

I have the feeling that you had to get power steering if you had AC, other wise there would be no adjustable pulley for that outer WP/PS belt.

Good information. I bought a water pump several years ago from Mancini still in the box. How can I tell if it is the small pulley one. Do you or someone else know the diameter?

Good information. I bought a water pump several years ago from Mancini still in the box. How can I tell if it is the small pulley one. Do you or someone else know the diameter? The car does have power steering.

remember that the water pump pulley for the AC cars is much smaller in diameter and much shallower than the one for a non-AC car. I mean really small in diameter. It makes the water pump spin faster to flow more water in the 3 core radiator that rounds out the package.

I have the feeling that you had to get power steering if you had AC, other wise there would be no adjustable pulley for that outer WP/PS belt.
str12-340, I found the water pump pulley that was with the car; it is one groove, groove size seems to match the ps pulley, and it is about 4 3/4” dia. Does that seem right. The new water pump is aluminum and has 5 vanes.

Mine is 5 1/2 inches in diameter and only 2 1/4 inches tall - lines up with the crank groove nearest the radiator Non AC water pump pulleys are 6 3/4 inches in diameter and will not clear an AC 3 groove crank pulley. You can't really measure these things without taking them off the water pump. Measure height by putting the pulley bolt holes down and measure up to the top of the pulley

I went back to my shop and checked. 5 1/2 and 2 1/4 are good for mine. Thanks so much.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this. I believe I’m good to go for air.

-
Back