Identify this glovebox trim please

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am trying to put together the dash on the 73 Duster I just bought, and I am having a little trouble with the glovebox door trim. The glovebox door is not drilled for the standoff posts on the back to align the trim, and dusterdood offered me another door that is not drilled for this either. Can anyone identify this trim. I have the complete set, and the dash is drilled to accept all of the other pieces, just the glovebox door is wacky. Help!!! Thanks, Geof

100_1437.jpg

100_1438.jpg

It looks like you're missing the inside of the door. It is metal and attaches to the piece you have and then bolts to the dash.

It looks like you're missing the inside of the door. It is metal and attaches to the piece you have and then bolts to the dash.

6pk2go, I have the metal part, that is the part that is not drilled. I'll take a pic and include it here. Thanks for the heads up, Geof

100_1439.jpg

100_1440.jpg

The glovebox door you have is not designed to accept the woodgrain trim. Was that piece in the 73 ?

That trim is part of the Deluxe interior package. It looks like the back of the glovebox door is drilled for the trim. To get the front ready, use the back as a guide for the holes.

Do not enlarge the holes on the back of the glovebox lid as that is what will secure the trim. Drill through the back to the front. Then from the front use a larger drill bit that will allow the posts of the trim to pass through. Install the trim through the front and attach the screws from the rear. Hope this is what you were wanting to know.

The glovebox door and the trim were both in the trunk. The dash trim was stripped and the dash was primed and I assume was going to be painted. I painted it and went to mount the trim back on and came accross this problem. I tried the glovebox door without the trim on and it fits and closes, it's probably the door that was on the car. The woodgrain trim is a complete set that was in the trunk and I assumed was bought to replace what trim was on the dash with nicer stuff. Some of the original trim is in the trunk too, but it is painted yellow, is cut and not useable. There are also 3 guage clusters that came with the car, all woodgrain and all the same. The glovebox trim is the only piece that will not just screw right on, and I assumed it was a simple door change to the drilled style for the trim upgrade. I didn't know it would be such a thorn. Thanks all who have any insight to this issue. Geof

well if the dash is drilled, but not the glovebox door, i would think the door may have been changed, that sure would be easier than changing the dash. but who knows.

That trim is part of the Deluxe interior package. It looks like the back of the glovebox door is drilled for the trim. To get the front ready, use the back as a guide for the holes.

Do not enlarge the holes on the back of the glovebox lid as that is what will secure the trim. Drill through the back to the front. Then from the front use a larger drill bit that will allow the posts of the trim to pass through. Install the trim through the front and attach the screws from the rear. Hope this is what you were wanting to know.

I didn't see the holes on the back until I posted the pic and a light came on!!! I thought a simple door swap would do the trick, but you know I'm willing to drill this baby. Thanks for the info on the deluxe interior package, thats what I was looking for. Well, that and a door that was drilled already!! Thanks again, Geof

Well, now I gotta take a glove box door apart and look....

Something looks funny to me, but it won't be the first time :???:

Here's a pic of a glovebox door in 2 pieces. Maybe the drilling will work. Good luck cosgig......I am learning too :-D

glove box 002.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm gonna drill out the door I have, I just love to do trim work with power tools!!!. Thanks for the pictures too, they really help. Now on with the show!!! Geof

-
Back