Identify this Overdrive trans.

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
Does anyone know which model of overdrive automatic this is? Keisler make a kit that includes this trans, but they won't tell you what which one it is. I want to swap in an overdrive, but I can't afford the $4000 price tag they want for the kit.

automatic-kit.jpg

That looks like a a GM 700r4 with a Mopar bell housing.

Here are some pics.

700r4.jpe

700r4-1.gif

700r4.jpg

From what I have read is there are some slight variations over the years and that 700r4 pictured is a newer model probably around 90-92 up.

Here is another pic that looks more like the one pictured.

CRT%20700R4.jpg

Crap, that means the only OD trans that will fit in an a-body is a chevy. :scratch:

I would rather cut the floorpans and crossmember.

Hell if I could do the swap I would. Looks at some of the guys running an Alter K tion front end with Mustang II suspension or running a ford rear. If I could find a way to change the bell housing for a small block Mopar I'd do it for sure. Who wouldn't want to have a OD system for cheap? Besides no one has to know you have a Chevy tranny. ;) ;)

Or you could also do the swap and tell everyone you bought a Keisler OD system!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yeah, but Keisler probably cad those belhousings cast for them. and the kit, for $3800 is a lot of money! There are a lot of things I would rather do with the money. I would rather spend 1/2 the money on a A500 and cut the floors.

Or purchasee a gear vendors overdrive that way you can run a 727. 700r4's are not that strong.

If you are going to cut your floor and trans tunnel, don't put am A500 in it. It would be a smarter move to put in the A518... it is a much stronger transmission. You can get the A518 with the lock up torque converter... it runs cooler and transfers more power to the ground. If it is built right, the A518 is nearly indestructible!

Hi I have the Keisler 4 speed automatic in my 72 Duster behind a 5.7 Hemi. They use the 4L60 tranny. We had to trim a piece out of the torsion bar crossmember at the hump area.

How about finding an early 90`s pick-up and use it`s A-518 like the Demonator suggested. That would probably be a much more affordable swap. A couple years ago Mopar Muscle (or one of those periodicals) did an article on the swap with all of the mods spelled out.

Crap, that means the only OD trans that will fit in an a-body is a chevy. :scratch:

I would rather cut the floorpans and crossmember.

an AOD will fit and from what i hear doesn't need much work at all. found a place that has complete transmissions but won't sell just the bell housing.

-
Back