Identifying old direct connection cam.

-

340dartley

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot but does anyone have an old direct connection catalog from the early 80s? I am trying to identify the camshaft in my race car. It is a time machine as it was built in the early 70s. The motor was freshened up in the early 80s . I talked to the original owner and he said it was the largest cam offered in the direct connection catalog at the time. said he thinks 233 was last digits of part number. Any help would be appreciated

moparts.org/Tech/tech/img/DirectConnection1975.pdf

That would be the 4120233. .508 lift and 292 advertised duration.

thanks. Sounds pretty mild by today's standards. Maybe a good amount of room for improvement.

thanks. Sounds pretty mild by today's standards. Maybe a good amount of room for improvement.

Negative. That's actually a very large hydraulic cam. 248.5* @ .050" It has a really nasty idle.

The car runs well now. Capable of mid to low 12 second times. I personally drove it to to a 12 .00 back in 1995. The issue right now is that it won't rev past 5500 rpm. Ithe pulls hard up to that point then floats valves. The valve springs are over due to be replaced. It still runs the stock cast iron original 340 intake. I may have access to a victor Jr intake. I don't want to give up too much low end but that cam is just coming to life when the valves float. If the motor would Rev to say 6200 to 6500 with a different intake, I should be able to pick up a few tenths.

Was kicking around the idea of changing cams but would probably do that after I get the other parts updated.

Sounds like it needs a good new set of valve springs. Sure, there are more modern grinds out there, but if it runs fairly well, I would just put springs in it and whatever else it needs. With everything well matched, that's a good cam.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have an old direct connection catalog from the early 80s? I am trying to identify the camshaft in my race car. It is a time machine as it was built in the early 70s. The motor was freshened up in the early 80s . I talked to the original owner and he said it was the largest cam offered in the direct connection catalog at the time. said he thinks 233 was last digits of part number. Any help would be appreciated

Had that cam in a .060 over 340 with forged 10.5 TRW's, 2.06 intake valve in a pair of J heads with a Holley air gap intake with a 700 holley. 8 in turbo action converter, manual shift 727, 513 spool, 9in slicks, in a 76 dart sport(my avatar pic car). When the converter hit the front tires were in the air. Wound up flexing the body and cracking the windshield. This of course was a street car an never raced on the track.

Boy do I love that cam.

Headers,stall,and gears if you don't already have them will wake that thing up.Put an rpm or airgap intake on it with some new valve springs and let it eat.If you pull the cover check the intake centerline and maybe advance it a couple of degrees.Nothing wrong with an old school buildup.

Headers,stall,and gears if you don't already have them will wake that thing up.Put an rpm or airgap intake on it with some new valve springs and let it eat.If you pull the cover check the intake centerline and maybe advance it a couple of degrees.Nothing wrong with an old school buildup.
Pretty much what I was thinking. Originally I had no idea what cam was in it but now we have that identified. I don't know for sure what stall it has. I was told it is 4000 stall. the rear Gears are 4.30 to 1. It has a 31 inch tall slick. The headers are 1.8. The heads are X heads with 2.02 valves. I don't know if any port work has been performed. It has a reverse manual valve body also. 750 dp Holley.

I would like a rpm or air gap intake. As mentioned I also have access to a victor Jr . so I may mess with it first. The rocker arms are stock stamped steel.

Overall I am impressed that a motor built in the early 80s is still running well today. The car was run out at Inyokern Drag strip until it's closure in 2004.

If you are reworking things a little. Find out where the cam is installed. Don't know the engines compression, if it's got stock style slugs in it, advance the cam to the 100-102 range. That will make it run a bunch different!

I've done this with a bunch of 292 and 284 mopar cams on 108ish LSA's. It makes a world of difference in 10.5:1 and lower compression engines.

I think it has stock or similar to stock pistons. have to remove heads to identify for sure. I am expecting 10 to 10.5 to 1

do a cranking compression test. 31" tall tire is killing gear ratio. the next spring up from comp cams is a 995 dual spring, requires cutting head for inner spring, if not done already. use the mopar p5249847 single springs, recommended for that cam, no head cutting needed. try the aluminum intake, have fun

RustyRatRod said:
Maybe one up from the Comp 901 spring.......whichever one that is, I am not sure on the number.

901-1 :) round wound 'dampner' internal v/s 'ribbon' poopee stuff, @ > .500 lift on a .050
'base circle' --- lol ---

Just My humble thoughts :)

talked to the Original owner/engine builder today. Cam was installed strait up. Heads were ccd and compression was calculated at a true 10.5 to 1. The heads had some port matching and some bowl work. valve seats were narrowed and moved as far to the outside as safe. pistons are replacement forged pistons. Bottom end has been lightened and flash marks have been removed from rods. He has more than 40 hours of work on polishing and lightening bottom end.

valve seats were narrowed and moved outboard as far as safe? How'd he do that?

-
Back