Idle questions

-

usdart

Reaction score
1970 Dart /6 no frills model, without A/C or Power Steering or power brakes

I changed the points, cap, rotor and plugs (the old plugs were ALL a nice tan color).

The idle is still rough especially in gear at a light. Increasing idle speed does not help. I tried air fuel adjutment with no help.
I hesitate to change the timing, but, that is all I can think of to do next. The car gets excellent mileage and otherwise runs super and I don't want to fix it if it ain't broke.

Anyone else have similar issues and found a cure?:read2:

I would think its the timing. But I'm no expert either.

But I am sure someone will direct you to /6 dot org to give you the answer. :)

But my 71 Swinger/6 was doing the same thing. I now have the timing set about 12 BTDC. Hope this helps and you don't lose your excellent MPG

Start your timing out at 5* BTDC and you can even advance it as far as 10* as long as it's not pinging. TDC will not give you the driveability or mileage that you'll get if it's advanced by a little bit.

Sounds like you might need a valve adjustment, which is nice since it's a free fix (other than your time) as long as your valve cover gasket doesn't come apart. Go over to slantsix.org and check out the sticky FAQ thread on the engine forum. There is a detailed description on how to properly adjust the valves.

I was dealing with the same issue also. I changed points,condenser,cap,rotor,plugs, and messed with the timing and made many carb adjustments attempts.Nothing helped.
I picked up a Haynes book and read up on the /6 spec's. Found that the distributor had a lot of play on the shaft and the vacuum advance was wasted.Went and bought a reman distributor and a new valve cover gasket.I installed the new distro and got her started and it got a little better.Pulled the valve cover off and started her up to adjust the lash.Haynes book say's adjust intake at .010 and exhaust at.020.
HOLY SMOKES!!!! By the time I got to #6 it started purring like a kitten.Slapped the V.C. back on and busted out the timing light.It was so advanced,I'm surprised the car ran well enough to drive me around town.The timing was brought down and set it at 5* and the rest is history.

Frank

A lot of shops had Sun machines. Now I'm sure they have something better but they could tell you what was not right with your car. Bad coil? Bad wires? Bad Points? Bad carb? Etc, Etc. This can save you a lot of money and increase your driving pleasure. If I could find a Sun Machine, I would buy it.

Is it a high miler? If so try adjusting the idle mixture with the air cleaner on and in drive. Be sure to use the parking brake and chocks. Almost totaled a Mazda with a F350 not that long ago. Glad I wasn't still leaning over the rad when it took off!

I pulled the valve cover off today. It looks really clean at the valve train. Some rockers feel pretty loose so tomorrow I am picking up a rubber gasket and a new feeler gauge and 'get 'er done'.

I am guessing this is a solid lifter engine fitted?
IMO it will most likely be the valve clearances have closed up,which makes a rough idle. I have seen this many times.
So,before you tear into things,re set the valve clearances to specs,and see what happens. Cheap too.
Betcha that will fix it.
regards,Rod:-D

I am guessing this is a solid lifter engine fitted?
IMO it will most likely be the valve clearances have closed up,which makes a rough idle. I have seen this many times.
So,before you tear into things,re set the valve clearances to specs,and see what happens. Cheap too.
Betcha that will fix it.
regards,Rod:-D

they all had solids till the mid 70's

if it has no spark plug tubes that tells you it's a later motor.

but pullin the cover tell you if it's a solid cam or hyd. 'no adjustable rockers'

I'm sure there other ways to tell too.

Adjusted the valves..all went perfectly. They were all too tight by abot a 3/8 turn of the adjuster.

Thanks for all the advice and help!

You guys were all right...runs like a new car now. All the valves were too tight.

Now off to pursue my elec demons..headlights blink off for no reason. If I hit the dimmer switch they come back on. Then I go back to dim and they stay on and then go out again, sometimes. Just installed a new dimmer switch so I hope to have solved the problem..we shall see.

A lot of shops had Sun machines. Now I'm sure they have something better but they could tell you what was not right with your car. Bad coil? Bad wires? Bad Points? Bad carb? Etc, Etc. This can save you a lot of money and increase your driving pleasure. If I could find a Sun Machine, I would buy it.

Check your local colleges. I know my school's shop just sold their Sun machine to the public.

-
Back