idler arm, center link, pitman arm

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
a friend said that he'd heard that if i changed my 1967 pitman arm, idler arm, and center link to the ones used from 1973-77 that i'd get an extra 2" pan clearance, any truth to this? thanks Gerry

You get more but I am not sure how much. With the later set up all the tapers come in from above rather then the tie rods horizontally and idler/pitman from below with the early center link.. I have the '73 up style for my big block conversion but have not set the motor in yet. If you are using a '67 K-frame the idler ARM mount is different than '68 up and you will need to change the K-frame too.

Yes, it's true, but like said above the later idler won't mount to your k-member, but will to a 68-72.

i believe the k-frame is from a 1973 dart swinger, that's what the seller told me, that he changed it to get disc brakes, but wouldn't that mean that i couldn't have the old 67 idler arm, pitman arm and center link on, and that it's already the new style? but then i still haven't got the clearance.

Is there a particular part that you want a picture of Jim, as i have the motor sitting on it now, so i can get a picture of parts (like were the pitman arm bolts, etc.) but not the top view. thanks Gerry

f55079, you have a 68-69 big block k-member with the correct original steering parts.

No, you could still run the late model (73-76) steering parts, but in your case I would probably just massage the pan.

I pulled my motor a few weeks ago toclean it up (as you can see she was leaking a little lol) so I got a new pan I think im going to cut it and tig in a nice curve

Thanks Bryan

Here what i could get with limited space
idlerarm003-1.jpg
idlerarm002.jpg
idlerarm003.jpg

Gerry, you're in luck. You do NOT have a 67 K-member so you CAN use 73-76 steering linkage. You will also need the large sector (pitman shaft) steering gear as the pitman arm for the late center link and small sector box seems to be unavailable these days.

-
Back