idler arm & header clearence help!!

-

73-340

Reaction score
i have a 73 dart and have an issue with idler arm hitting header . could i put an idler arm , pitman arm , and centerlink off a 72 to get the clearence i need. 73 idler and pitman arms point to the ground and 72 point up toward the motor . has any one done this swap for this purpose.

It is a Moog Idler arm? or an Autozone?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOG-K7086/

summit does not have the correct picture...

go to to rockauto.com and look it up...they have the correct pictures....picture is of the moog k7086

Attachments

• 7086.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 446
I have the same issue with my 67 Dart and hooker headers. I am going to heat it with a torch and hammer the header tube in a little.

it looks like the 72 idler would drop farther away for the header and less area to possibly hit the header than the 73 for better clearence. first pic is 72 and 2nd is the 73. the only thing i can think of that would be a problem is getting the old pitman arm off.

Attachments

• 72 idler arm.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 468
  • 73 idler arm.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 462
i had the same problem with my 73 duster putting TTi headers on it....bought one and the headers hit it....I looked at the old one...and the new one was not the same..

bought the Moog and it fit...

Ok, I had the same problem, it was the motor mount sagging on that side. New motor no problem. I talked to Sam at tti and he said when you install a new engine try to push it back to the rear when seating it. There's a little room to push and just enought to clear the header. We just a cuda with tti's but the K frame was a spool can't push it back but it cleared.

CIMG4682.jpg

Im still stuck on the same problem, have been for almost a year. Wish i would have seen this post about the Mood part before. Going to have to investigate it!

I have a friends 69 Dart in my shop now same old problem.I tried to get specs on the difference between the early and later idler arm with no luck.It has the later spool mount K member in it so I would have to presume it also has the later idler arm ????Ended up pinging the header (use two ball peen hammers) and grinding down the end rod stud as much as possible.Also grinding down the idler arm stud a little.Cheap *** headers anyway.I have TTI's on my demon and don't remember having this big of a problem
try these people great price and service
www.energysuspensionparts.com

-
Back