if you don't know....

-

bad440

everything,all the time..
Reaction score
we were hunting for a limited slip out of dakota's and cherrokee's and you have to watch it dana 30 rears look an awful lot like an 8 1/4 the 8 1//4 has 10 bolts holding the ring gear the dana 30 has 8 bolts holding the ring gear.most grand cherrokees have the dana the others 96 and older will work in our 8 1/4 rears thought i'de put that out there...

I wonder how a 30 compares to an 8 1/4? Back in my 4 wheelin' days (I had a 340 Landcruiser) The Bronco/ Jeep/ Scout guys didn't think all that much of a "30" front axle.

I think the older Scouts (pronounced "Shout") had either 25's or 27's front and rear. It was common to see "shouts" jacked up around town with the rear axle torn down!!

I wonder how a 30 compares to an 8 1/4? Back in my 4 wheelin' days (I had a 340 Landcruiser) The Bronco/ Jeep/ Scout guys didn't think all that much of a "30" front axle.

I think the older Scouts (pronounced "Shout") had either 25's or 27's front and rear. It was common to see "shouts" jacked up around town with the rear axle torn down!!
don't really know, i know the 30s carrier the clutches are behind the spiders and they have no springs like an 8 1/4. but they also dont look as beefy. i'm thinking if you used a whole rear out of a cherrokee it would live with a decent teener so long as you werent banzai in it off the line....

I believe that you are confusing the Dana 30 with the Dana 35. The 30 was not really used in rear applications, but it's in the front of all XJ and Grand Cherokees until they switched to IFS. The 35 is in the rear of many XJ Cherokees (all with ABS). Both the 30 and 35 have 10 bolts. The cover looks very similar to an 8 1/4, but has bolts at both the 6:00 and 12:00 positions, the 8.25 is about 5 minutes off the hour. Some XJ's have a Dana 44, if you see one, grab it & put it on E-bay, Jeep guys will come a runnin'. Grand Cherokees have either the 35 or an odd ball aluminum 44 that uses unique internal parts that make it just about worthless. 96 and newer XJ and Dakota 8.25s use 29 spline carriers and would require custom axles for our use, (not a bad idea, really)

You're confusing a D-35 for a D-30, a D-30 could maybe be more likely to resemble a 7.25.

The 35 is a good rear as is the D-44 and the D-44A is also good.

The newer WK models use a D-44 (srt) and the latest revamped changed version of the 8.25 full floating axle and can have e-lockers if its a qtII, which would be a good idea also.

don't really know, i know the 30s carrier the clutches are behind the spiders and they have no springs like an 8 1/4. but they also dont look as beefy. i'm thinking if you used a whole rear out of a cherrokee it would live with a decent teener so long as you werent banzai in it off the line....

My jeep hasn't broken the the 35 yet, on 2stgs and a 375hp base

I believe that you are confusing the Dana 30 with the Dana 35. The 30 was not really used in rear applications, but it's in the front of all XJ and Grand Cherokees until they switched to IFS. The 35 is in the rear of many XJ Cherokees (all with ABS). Both the 30 and 35 have 10 bolts. The cover looks very similar to an 8 1/4, but has bolts at both the 6:00 and 12:00 positions, the 8.25 is about 5 minutes off the hour. Some XJ's have a Dana 44, if you see one, grab it & put it on E-bay, Jeep guys will come a runnin'. Grand Cherokees have either the 35 or an odd ball aluminum 44 that uses unique internal parts that make it just about worthless. 96 and newer XJ and Dakota 8.25s use 29 spline carriers and would require custom axles for our use, (not a bad idea, really)
sorry for my confusion you guys are right 35 is the unit i was refering to

-
Back