If you drive in North Carolina, Please read this

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Just thought I would post this because this law is now in effect here in North Carolina:

[SIZE=-1]RALEIGH — On December 1, 2009, a new law went into effect that requires the state’s name across the bottom of the plate as well as the year and month stickers on a license plate to be fully visible. They can no longer be partially covered by a license frame.

Vehicle owners can be cited for committing an infraction and, after Nov. 30, 2010, fined $100 for the violation.

The law was introduced in the 2009 session of the General Assembly and was supported by law enforcement officials because it increases the readability of registration information on the plates and helps identify vehicles registered in North Carolina.

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
licenseplatecover.gif

[SIZE=-1]Below is a copy of a law that went into effect December 1, 2009 and is now being enforced. The fine for an infraction can be up to $100.00 plus court costs.

North Carolina General Statute 20-63(g)

Alteration, Disguise, or Concealment of Numbers. Any operator of a motor vehicle who shall willfully mutilate, bend, twist, cover or cause to be covered or partially covered by any bumper, light, spare tire, tire rack, strap, or other device, or who shall paint, enamel, emboss, stamp, print, perforate, or alter or add to or cut off any part or portion of a registration plate or the figures or letters thereon, or who shall place or deposit or cause to be placed or deposited any oil, grease, or other substance upon such registration plates for the purpose of making dust adhere thereto, or who shall deface, disfigure, change, or attempt to change any letter or figure thereon, or who shall display a number plate in other than a horizontal upright position, shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. Any operator of a motor vehicle who shall willfully cover or cause to be covered any part or portion of a registration plate or the figures or letters thereon by any device designed or intended to prevent or interfere with the taking of a clear photograph of a registration plate by a traffic control system using cameras commits an infraction and shall be fined under G.S. 14 3.1. Any operator of a motor vehicle who shall otherwise intentionally cover any number or registration renewal sticker on a registration plate with any material that makes the number or registration renewal sticker illegible commits an infraction and shall be fined under G.S. 14 3.1. Nothing in this subsection shall prohibit the use of transparent covers that are not designed or intended to prevent or interfere with the taking of a clear photograph of a registration plate by a traffic control system using cameras.[/SIZE]

Thanks for posting maniac... I'll have to look into this further, as of right now I'm running a 1963 NC tag on my '63 chevy truck, the last I checked it was legal to do this as long as the real tag was inside the car/truck...

[SIZE=-1] Nothing in this subsection shall prohibit the use of transparent covers that are not designed or intended to prevent or interfere with the taking of a clear photograph of a registration plate by a traffic control system using cameras.[/SIZE]

Seems to me the last sentence is what it's all about. Gotta make sure the plates legible for the cameras to be able to generate the revenue.

Just asking, but what about accidental damage caused by a trailer hitch? Would that be a fine or not? The rules says intentional damage.

Seems to me the last sentence is what it's all about. Gotta make sure the plates legible for the cameras to be able to generate the revenue.

Just asking, but what about accidental damage caused by a trailer hitch? Would that be a fine or not? The rules says intentional damage.

That's the same thing I thought about the camera deal.. Thay must be having trouble in court proving bad tag pictures... If thay had any brains thay would just make us put plates on the front and rear instead of just the rear if their just after more revenue...

That's the same thing I thought about the camera deal.. Thay must be having trouble in court proving bad tag pictures... If thay had any brains thay would just make us put plates on the front and rear instead of just the rear if their just after more revenue...

don't even suggest that. i hate the front plates on cars.

i kinda fell like if your not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't be worried about traffic cams

oh, to my north carolinian's, it is legal for a passenger to have a open container in NC again, just a FYI.

i kinda fell like if your not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't be worried about traffic cams

oh, to my north carolinian's, it is legal for a passenger to have a open container in NC again, just a FYI.

Would that mean an open container of non alcoholic beverages???

One of the key parts that the news programs have been emphasizing is the license plate frame. If it covers the name of the state in any way, it will be considered illegial. Think about how many dealership frames, ones with car models, teams, etc. that will cover the name of the state up.

i thought it was kinda implied, but a open container of a alcohlic beverage is legal. not for the driver though. LOL

We have some screwed up DOT laws... What, the driver can't reach the booze if the passenger is holding it and/or the driver can't just pop a breath mint if thay get pulled...

Screw that. If my passenger wants a drink. As long as I do not drink behind the wheel I do not drink alcohol at all anyway.) I see no issues with the passenger having a drink. That is an assinine law.

agreed over here we have to have a front plate aswell,but atleast this year they stopped with those stupid stickers as a prof that you have paid your taxes and insurance on the car

-
Back