If you had $2K to play with...

-
I agree with a lot of the guys here, sink the money into the cylinder head. Also bring up the compression as much as you can and still run on pump gas. 2K seems like a lot of money but it doesn`t go very far when you start figuring labor costs.

Port and polish the cylinder head, buy a ram air intake manifold, and headers from clifford performance, and get a nice 4 bbl carb from holley. and if you have cash left over, but a more agressive cam

I've heard a lot of negative talk about Clifford. So idk.
Quick question though... On another post you said you are running methanol on a six. What car was it in?

buy a ram air intake manifold, and headers from clifford performance

Yeah, if you feel like flushing some or all of your $2K down the toilet...

If you MUST have Clifford headers, find a set on Ebay. It's not the headers themselves that are bad, just Clifford's customer service (or lack of). There are also alternatives to headers, depending on your goals. Anything less than an all-out race car can see big improvements from Dutra Duals:

http://slantsix.org/articles/exhaust-man-mods/exhaust-manifold-mods.htm

Plus, they'll probably outlast your car.

I've heard a lot of negative talk about Clifford. So idk.
Quick question though... On another post you said you are running methanol on a six. What car was it in?

yeah clifford is expensive, but if i had 2g's i would go that route. i will be running water injection on my 74 dart to cool the A/F mixture

I agree with cutting .050 from the head and the block. Wiesco makes a 2.2 liter piston for the 198 con rod. Bore the block and fit those. A mild porting job and a little bowl cleanup on the head to help it breathe better. There are several aftermarket cams to select from depending on the intended use of the car that this engine is going into. That ought to do in the $2K. You can easily add the intake and exhaust you want when the budget allows without cracking the engine open again.

Yeah, if you feel like flushing some or all of your $2K down the toilet...

If you MUST have Clifford headers, find a set on Ebay. It's not the headers themselves that are bad, just Clifford's customer service (or lack of). There are also alternatives to headers, depending on your goals. Anything less than an all-out race car can see big improvements from Dutra Duals:

http://slantsix.org/articles/exhaust-man-mods/exhaust-manifold-mods.htm

Plus, they'll probably outlast your car.
yeah i would rather get the dutra duals, i forgot about those lol. but isnt clifford the only place that makes a 4bbl carb intake manifold?

Just a driver :happy10:but she moves like a small V8 in my little 66 Valiant.
66aCUDA is my go to guy here at this site along with Dan and Grumpascreature and they have never let me down...
I did the dual's that waggin built me and was told to go with 2 ta 1 exhaust

This little 170/ is all stock inside for now8) and enjoying it at the 1/8 mile track, slant 170 CI'es out running stock V8 trucks.:cheers:
And when I change my head out and the cam that 66aCUDA has advised me on I bet it will get an easy 9.0 pass, This little car is light, and the 7 1/4 is all I believe she will ever need at 2.700 lbs half full of gas and spare tire, I know I am not screaming down the track, but you can't even here me doing it =P~ I love my extra 35 to 40 hp I got by just adding my Offenhauser intake and little 390 Holley and waggin duals. and it's my daily driver.

Here is a picture of my additions, you will see I have fresh cool air being piped in through a 93 Jeep 4.0 breather. I have about $600 in my set up for better gas milage and about all the hp I need :happy10: for now8)
Just me memike lov'in my low deck 170/ six :happy10:

June third 2010 helping Creed Clean My Closet area OUT! 009.jpg

June third 2010 helping Creed Clean My Closet area OUT! 006.jpg

I would think that a 2bbl is a better set up on account of I've heard a lot of people say that a 4bbl just bogs.

I would think that a 2bbl is a better set up on account of I've heard a lot of people say that a 4bbl just bogs.

maybe you would get a bog if you cant tune or the secondaries open too soon. i think you should buy my 74 225 with 78 super six setup. that is a good start for you. lol.

Frank,66aCUDA has given you the best advise so far,my orig motor had the Erson 270-280 cam,60 over with engine builder valves,self ported head,Clifford intake,Holley 600 carb and Clifford headers.Car ran 13.009 all motor.I was a little too high on the compression,`10.7 for it to be a pump gas driver,I would shoot for 9.5.My car was also very light 2600lbs with driver so dont expect low 13s.My car is now race only 2400 lbs and runs in the 11s.I have over $4000 in the new motor.Then ya got the trans,converter,rear end and tires to go that fast.Stick with the six,to me its ALOT more fun going fast with a six.Guzzi Mark

"Cut .050 off the deck and the same off the head to bump the compression up to 9.5 to 1. YOU DID measure it right,"

I haven't done anything to the engine at all. So should I be able to cut .050 off both without worrying about it? Not that it wouldn't get measured anyways.

Wedge
You should be able to cut .050 off both without getting new push rods. But you DO need to measure. Most slant 225s are around .175 to .185 in the hole and have 60cc heads "factory"
Frank

Thanks Frank. Any specs you have I could use becuase this is my first build and I want to do it right. And it goes without saying that I don't want to flush my money down the toilet!

-
Back