Ign switch or ??

-

BlueMoose

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is the ignition switch, but you guys know a lot more than me. I really just started driving this car. It's a 73 Dart with stock ignition system.

It died on the way home today after cruising on the backroads. I pulled the coil wire and ballast resistor connectors off and cleaned them. It started back up and got me home.

6 hours later I go to start it. It fires up and dies as soon as I let the switch go to the "on" position. If I hold the key just before where it kicks the starter it will stay running (between "on" and "start".)

Just making sure it's the switch before I go order one. I'm unsure of the effect the ballast resistor has when it goes out and I hear it's a common problem.

check your ballast resistor or switch out to your spare...you do carry a spare ballast in your car, right?

It sounds to me like you have either a bad ballast or switch. Turn the key to the run position and check the non coil side of the resistor for power. If no power I would check the bulk head connector for good contact and if there is power I would check the other side of the ballast. If there is no power there then change out the ballast.

id say ballast resistor as well. You could hot wire your car as well.

Take 12v to the 'in' side of your ballast resistor and bump the starter off the starter relay.

Turned out to be the switch. I bought a ballast just in case, I now have a spare :)

I have never had so much trouble putting an ignition switch in a car before. There are major clearance issues getting the old wires out and the new ones in, and how do you take off that lock plate anyway? I just removed the pin right before the power steering pump to pull the shaft out 4 inches so I could work around it.

Anyway, all done. It works :thumbup:

-
Back