Ignition Coil Relocation - 1972 Duster

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
I think I want to move the coil from the horizontal position on the intake manifold to a vertical position to the left of the wiper motor on the firewall. I'm concerned the screws might hit the heater core. Any insight much appreciated.

My heater box/core in my 1967 Barracuda are on the right hand side of the car. I don't think mounting the coil to the left (driver side) of the wiper motor will cause you any grief with the heater core.

My heater box/core in my 1967 Barracuda are on the right hand side of the car. I don't think mounting the coil to the left (driver side) of the wiper motor will cause you any grief with the heater core.
I’m sorry, I meant to the right of the wiper motor.

That's a good idea, always heard that coils could be damaged from vibration. Mounted mine horizontally on the firewall, but in my case after the heater box was removed permanently.

65 Valiant4.jpeg

the firewall "step" is a perfect fit for the coil retaining bracket unequal mounting legs.
Double check before you drill and you'll be o.k.

Unless you put 4 inch screws in the coil mount you won't come anywhere near the heater core. (the box yes, but not the core)

The one thing about can coils is that they are filled with coolant (a light oil) and when laying down can leak that coolant out and burn up inside.
This is one of the big pluses for E and C core coils, as they are a dry style.
Anyway, the point is it's safer for the coil and it's reliability to be upright.

It may be better to place the coil in a vertical position, for two reasons
1 you will require less room in the placement
2 if the coil has a problem and starts to leak, it will leak less in the vertical position and not create a huge mess

i mounted mine on the firewall because i sold an airgap for $275 and replaced it with an old Wiend i bought for $56 on E-Bay which had no coil mount.It's hard to see but is mounted horizontally behind the heater hoses.
By the way...the old Weind works great!

IMG_2394.JPG

-
Back