Ignition problem in 67 Cuda

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
So my buddy has another issue with his ignition in his 67 Cuda 340. It seems that the motor fires fine, but shuts off as soon as he lets the key off the start position. Its obvious that current is not flowing in the run position, but he is not sure where wires would be gone awry, he has not changed anything at the dash switch at all.
He has installed a new MSD Streetfire ignition,coil, and distributor, removing the factory ECM and ballast resistor. He also has installed a new electric fuel pump, which also loses power when the key is in the run position. No wires under dash have been tampered with or changed.
A bit of history... he was having issues with it having zero power to anything after removing the ignition1 blue wire and ignition 2 brown wires from the ballast resistor during the new ignition install, so he joined the two wires to complete the circuit, and now has the problem explained in the first paragraph.
Any wiring gurus care to lend some badly needed advice? :)
Thanks

He must connect IGN1 and IGN2 together and route that to the hot for the MSD. IGN1 is "Run" and IGN2 is "12V when starting. Both must be connected together when using an ignition like the MSD that eliminates the ballast. Sounds like all he has is IGN2 hooked up. It goes dead when you release the key from start to run.

He must connect IGN1 and IGN2 together and route that to the hot for the MSD. IGN1 is "Run" and IGN2 is "12V when starting. Both must be connected together when using an ignition like the MSD that eliminates the ballast. Sounds like all he has is IGN2 hooked up. It goes dead when you release the key from start to run.
Thanks!! I kinda figured that he was missing another connection when he installed the MSD, but he said that the instructions didnt say what to do with those two wires. He actually just went home to get them..haha

Thanks!! I kinda figured that he was missing another connection when he installed the MSD, but he said that the instructions didnt say what to do with those two wires. He actually just went home to get them..haha
They very likely do not. Mopar rarely has correct instructions on anything in the aftermarket. It's either slap wrong or missing details.

@RustyRatRod , a little more info here, he already has ignition 1 and 2 connected together and running to the red wire on the MSD(not heavy red to battery) that is labeled "from original coil + terminal", I didnt know that when I first made the post, my apologies. So it appears that he already has it connected to what I assume to be the "hot" that you are referring to, unless I am misunderstanding.
instructions.jpg

Get a wiring diagram.

Free at myMopar.com.

Then start tracing the factory setup and how the wires are connected

It might be a bad ignition switch?

Get a wiring diagram.

Free at myMopar.com.

Then start tracing the factory setup and how the wires are connected

It might be a bad ignition switch?
Yup, thats exactly what he is going to do tomorrow. He has one of those nice colored diagrams from Classic Car Wiring, it may have been you that recommended it actually, I got one as well, very nice. Ignition switch is something we were considering if nothing else pans out.

It's beginning to appear the ignition switch may be bad. Sometimes they can lose one side or the other. It's going to require a GOOD factory wiring diagram and some work with a volt ohmmeter.

-
Back