Ignition problem

-

fatoldguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Having a problem with ignition . 1973 duster , 340 , I turn the ignition key to start , just keeps turning over soon as I release the key the engine starts, doesn't do it all the time , just when it feels like it . Just wondering if anyone has any ideas where I should look wiring or ignition switch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks .

I had that problem once too, but am probably no good to you here as I can't remember if it was the switch, ballast, or the box?
Switch rings a bell if I had to choose.

I used to build a lot of cars to sell at swap meets and one little idiosyncracy of the Mopar ignition boxes was that when you would haul a car in freezing weather it had a tendency to make the boxes go bad. If you were driving the car where the engine bay was heated they would be fine. A lot of times we would get to a show and the cars would crank and crank until you let off the key then they would sputter and sometimes start. I would replace the box and make sure it had a good ground and then it would start right up.

Key switch or ballast resistor.
Turn your key to the start position with an electrical tester on the coil pos.
Bet you don't have power in the start position, but do in the run position.

Switch or ballast.:D

Key switch or ballast resistor.
Turn your key to the start position with an electrical tester on the coil pos.
Bet you don't have power in the start position, but do in the run position.

Switch or ballast.:D
Thank you at least I have some where to start.

I used to build a lot of cars to sell at swap meets and one little idiosyncracy of the Mopar ignition boxes was that when you would haul a car in freezing weather it had a tendency to make the boxes go bad. If you were driving the car where the engine bay was heated they would be fine. A lot of times we would get to a show and the cars would crank and crank until you let off the key then they would sputter and sometimes start. I would replace the box and make sure it had a good ground and then it would start right up.

Thanks for the info.

switched electronic box , had just painted engine compartment last year made sure the ground is good ,so far so good !Thanks for all the help

switched electronic box , had just painted engine compartment last year made sure the ground is good ,so far so good !Thanks for all the help

Cool, that was easy. :D
Usually those just quit all the way around.

-
Back