Ignition/starter /accessories switch boxes.... Any ideas welcomed...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
72 Scamp ,street/strip ride. Have some accessories to add,would rather have them mounted away from stock switches.(cooling fans/N20 arming/ ignition kill switch). Was thinking, of modifying the stock ashtray,any ideas are relevant, at this point. (I hate, spending 50-100 bones,for a box with switches...)

Once upon a time Radio Shack had these "project boxes" for stuff like that, dont know if they still do or not, metal boxes with no holes mainly for putting whatever wherever.

Once upon a time Radio Shack had these "project boxes" for stuff like that, dont know if they still do or not, metal boxes with no holes mainly for putting whatever wherever.

Cool,and Thanks... Fab work/odd ball idea's, welcomed.

Is the glove box off limits or to far to reach?
Otherwise, a simple mounting on/under the dashboard centered under the ashtray? Or to your side of the ashtray?

There's not exactly a lot of places to mount and hide or blend it in.

Is the glove box off limits or to far to reach?
Otherwise, a simple mounting on/under the dashboard centered under the ashtray? Or to your side of the ashtray?

There's not exactly a lot of places to mount and hide or blend it in.

Appreciated, Rumble....

I used the ash tray as you stated,removing the lighter and cup.With a little work it can be done and still have the door close if you want to hide the switches from sight.

I used the ash tray as you stated,removing the lighter and cup.With a little work it can be done and still have the door close if you want to hide the switches from sight.

that would have my vote, buy an ashtray of ebay or here or wherever and gut it
then weld in a face plate and install the switches in there, very 007

my only concern would be getting your fingers under the actual switches to actuate them

other option would be a radio delete plate ?

Trying to visualize on my 71 Scamp a place to put them and the only spot I could think of would be the ashtray like you mentioned or perhaps, on the small lip on the bottom side of the dash or how about a overhead console like above the mirror. Might be able to use where the mirror mounts as the main support for it.

If your not good at Fabbing, perhaps younggun2.0 might be willing to make something for you..

Decision on this route,hit the "Thanks" button for all.

Where the drivers sun visor mounts? Small L shaped panel. Since you will not be using them to often I hope (kill switch) I am putting my gauges there since I cannot find a piller post pod to work. Surplus center has tons of good switches for cheap.

-
Back