Ignition Switch

-

68ValiantEffort

Reaction score
I went to leave for work yesterday morning and i started to put my key in the ignition and there seemed to be something blocking the key from going in. Nothing broke off the key the last time i drove it. Im not sure i can do anything to fix it, so i was wondering what i have to do to take it out? and do i need any special tools? Thanks.

Have a spare key you can try? Key tweaked at all?

You'll have to pull the column apart pretty well to swap the key cylinders..maybe take it by a locksmith and see if they have any ideas before you do so.

Sounds like the tumblers in the lock are worn out and one "fell down" preventing you from sticking the key in. Time for a new lock cylinder.

Happened to me, and Eric is right on the money. If there's nothing wrong with the key, the cylinder itself needs replaced. At least you dont have a '69... that was a PAIN IN THE *** for me to find.

It was a tumbler that fell. i feel stupid b/c i read some of the post from awhile back talking about pulling the wheel and i didnt think about it, but my is in the dash, so it was easy. thanks for the help though.

maybe i need a new lock cylinder too. I got home but when I started it up and took my hand away, the key came out with the cylinder still on the key, car stayed running. so i pushed it back in and drove home. :)

-
Back