IHRA expermenting with a 11.50 index class. No (box/elec). Very cool, imo!

-

OldmanRick

Reaction score
Where was a class like this when I had some $$$! I hope racers will participate in this enough for them to continue on with it for years to come. This is one that I could really get fired up about, and this year one race is at one of my old "hometown" tracks...Budds Creek!

Let's see...A 70'/71' mini tubbed Duster with a mild (low maintenance) 408" plant...

Yep...I'm dreaming again, lol. It sucks being old & broke :(. I do hope some Mopar guys & gals look into this, and I applaud IHRA for trying to get more racers involved. :thumleft:

http://www.ihra.com/ihra-news/compe...index-class-at-select-national-events-in-2015

Where was a class like this when I had some $$$! I hope racers will participate in this enough for them to continue on with it for years to come. This is one that I could really get fired up about, and this year one race is at one of my old "hometown" tracks...Budds Creek!

Let's see...A 70'/71' mini tubbed Duster with a mild (low maintenance) 408" plant...

Yep...I'm dreaming again, lol. It sucks being old & broke :(. I do hope some Mopar guys & gals look into this, and I applaud IHRA for trying to get more racers involved. :thumleft:

http://www.ihra.com/ihra-news/compe...index-class-at-select-national-events-in-2015

RICK, I LIKE THIS!!!!(lol) The local track site coming (Lompoc, CA), is supposed to be IHRA sanctioned (or so I hear..) Common sense ,affordable classes, NHRA has gone away from this premise (IMO,).

Cool Bomber! I grew up a NHRA guy, and still have some allegiance to them, but as far as the comments I've been seeing on the net the last few years from Sportsman racers, IHRA looks to be getting a lot more positive comments. I actually was a little turned off with a few of their classes.....Mainly the mountain motor Pro Stock deal, but this 11.50 no box program has me a little excited from a low budget, grassroots, standpoint.

That is very neat. RIGHT where a LOT of hot Mopar street cars run.

I like it :thumbup: I've been wanting to get out to US131 now I have another reason to go.

Kind of like the Ozark Mountain Super Shifters group. No boxes, no electronics, leave the line with a clutch and hold on. The racers have a blast and the spectators love the wheels up off the line.

http://www.ozarkmountainsupershifters.com/

I`ve always thot that a heads up 13-12-11-10 second bracket would be very fun and create some interest again. et bracket racing just plain sucks. and, the electronics brackets are the worst! 13.50-12.50-11.50-10.50-9.99, whatever , sounds great! jmo--bob:cheers:

Man, wheres everybody been they've running those classes at E-town and N.E. dragway for years now..then again they're N.H.R.A....

Kind of like the Ozark Mountain Super Shifters group. No boxes, no electronics, leave the line with a clutch and hold on. The racers have a blast and the spectators love the wheels up off the line.

http://www.ozarkmountainsupershifters.com/

A few of these guys came up here to run at a stick shift race. It was an awesome race to watch that's for sure.

NHRA Div 4 had index classes in 1987.
13.90 & down.
I ran the 11.90 class in a five race series sponsored by Alston chassis & K-Mart.
Had a great time doing it.
Always had plenty of cars to fill the field.
They were ran at the divisional races.

I won the first race @ Tulsa,Ok., they even paid contingency money & gave away a pair of Weld wheels.

To keep it affordable, it needs to remain foot brake & No-electronics.
I don't mind a manual throttle stop.

It doesn't take anything to build a 11 second car. Very affordable to do.
If they want to see racing survive, they need a series that will appeal to the racer on a low budget.

The 10.90 Super Street class that NHRA offers now, is out of control.
You have cars running 10.90 @ 150MPH!

Really do tell??...

The engine in the Demon right now,
.060 340 with KB pistons stock replacements.
stock crank & rods balanced.
late model 360 truck heads, bowels opened up, 2.05 int/1.60 ex valves.
port matched to the gaskets.
Mopar solid cam 528 lift / 284 duration.
Holley strip dominator intake & 750 DP Holley.
MSD ignition.
1 3/4 Hooker headers.
904 trans with an 8" Coan convertor.
4:30 gear w/spool.
Good for 11.30's anytime.

Nothing to put any smallblock in the 11's.

The way I see it is if they want drag racing to be as popular to the mainstream
culture as it was back in the 50s & 60s duplicate it. Danger be damned.
Even the music and movies of the time were influenced.
NHRA ruled it to the point of being boring for spectators and even some racers.
If the local tracks would permit some old school racing without fear of loosing sanctioning I would be there every weekend with a car. Even if I had to wait till all the brackets were run.
I just can't get into bracket, delay box or even automatic transmission racing no matter how hard I try. I hate to be predgious us but I dont even like to think about all the imports. The cars raced today are not near as interesting to me like they used to be. I know that I am just old and most don't feel this way.
So I don't join in like I would like to. I have no interest in racing a dial or another fox body.
I would rather win or get beat by another car over electronics.

The way I see it is if they want drag racing to be as popular to the mainstream
culture as it was back in the 50s & 60s duplicate it. Danger be damned.
Even the music and movies of the time were influenced.
NHRA ruled it to the point of being boring for spectators and even some racers.
If the local tracks would permit some old school racing without fear of loosing sanctioning I would be there every weekend with a car. Even if I had to wait till all the brackets were run.
I just can't get into bracket, delay box or even automatic transmission racing no matter how hard I try. I hate to be predgious us but I dont even like to think about all the imports. The cars raced today are not near as interesting to me like they used to be. I know that I am just old and most don't feel this way.
So I don't join in like I would like to. I have no interest in racing a dial or another fox body.
I would rather win or get beat by another car over electronics.

This. I'm in my mid 40's, grew up on heads up racing. If I get beat, figure out how to go faster. That was the original idea, wasn't it?

-
Back