I'm a dumb a$$

-

jabdusty57

Reaction score
Someone please tell me I'm not the first person in history to do over-torque a window bracket? What a mess that made - it took me a hour just to clean it up.

Anyone know a good place to get a replacement, hopefully safety glass?

:banghead:

Attachments

• window.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 194
No, you're not the first.

Remember my first job in a body shop. Was acting as extra hands for another tech as he was putting a window in an S10. He was talking about a guy who used to work that would bust one window after another by using a 1/4" air ratchet. As he was was telling this he was using his 1/4" drive hand ratchet, being careful, etc.

Then he put one extra pull on the ratchet and "snap," there went the glass all over the place. :D

All I could do was stand there and laugh my *** off.

I am so scared that I might do that in adjusting my windows.
Will follow thread to see where you get a replacement.

Darryl

I broke a brand new one once,...Had just installed a replacement and was in the recheck phase,...thousands of tiny diamonds,...everywhere...

Relax, it may not have been from your actions. Tempered glass will get stressed if theres a tiny chip or scratch on it, even unseen flaws can create a stress point. If that was the case, it just waited until you tried to install it to break. Even sitting in the sun could have made it explode into diamonds.
I did auto glass for years... the stories i could tell, lol.
all auto glass is saftey glass, winshields and some flat side glass is laminated, curved window glass (except windshields) is tempered.

Relax, it may not have been from your actions. Tempered glass will get stressed if theres a tiny chip or scratch on it, even unseen flaws can create a stress point. If that was the case, it just waited until you tried to install it to break. Even sitting in the sun could have made it explode into diamonds.
I did auto glass for years... the stories i could tell, lol.
all auto glass is saftey glass, winshields and some flat side glass is laminated, curved window glass (except windshields) is tempered.

That does help. There were actually a lot of vertical scratches on it. I guess it's not so bad I have to replace it.

I've done alot of dumb suff over the years but so far haven't done that, lol

U know glass can and does break--well now you will not forget. Tighten till snug--anymore you are gambling

Helps to use 1/4 inch tools, the socket and wenches

In the words of Bill Engval....Hey you try'ing to tighten that window down???? Naw just thought I'd see if I could glue it all back together... Here's your Sign...! LOL!!!
We all do dumb things.. and I'm the worst... Welcome to the club..

-
Back