I'M an idiot in need of help....727

-

64Russ360

Reaction score
Here's my problem............64 dart /6 to 360. I found an early 727 '62 I think. I am having all sorts of mounting problems with the tranny. Not even close to the original cross member mounting. Also, bolt pattern on trans is 4" ctc instead of 2-3/4". Any suggestions and assistance would be much appreciated.

Russ you'll either have to spend time making adapters or find a newer style 727. I know the newer 727 versions well (66 and up) but I don't know the old ones. I know the 66 and up use the 2-3/4 ctc pattern. They also use linkage shift instead of the 65 and back cable shift. The input shaft splines are also a different count so the older torque converters won't work in a newer trans. The older ones were alot heavier also due to having a rear pump. I imagine the whole tailshft is larger on the older ones to make room for the rear pump but that's just a guess. If it is indeed larger it will surely be a problem installing one in a early A-body as the newer 727 is a real tight fit in them. You might even consider finding a 904 to use. There much easier to work with since their alot smaller and they're plenty strong for most any engine up to 450 hp with just a good shift kit. Put in better clutches, steels, bands, and do a perf. rebuild and it'll handle 500 hp no problem. Plus they have a lower 1st gear and weigh less so they have a take-off advantage.

Good luck with your project and welcome to the board.

That's what I was afraid of. I don't mind using a 904, finding one is the problem. I would like to keep the Push Button working, without too much headache or $$$$. If anyone has or knows where I can find one. Thanks for your insight Fishy.

Talk to John at Cope Racing. He can even make a late model 904 into a eary push botton unit too.

Well, now that I figure I won't be able to use it, I might as well put it up for sale. I have already rebuilt it, so it is nice & fresh. You early owners might have a need. No cracks, stripped holes, etc. Has ball & trunion shaft. I can add pics later, if anyone is interested. Let me know.

Thanks,
Russ

SOME 904's (actually, I think they're called 999's) have a lower first and second gear (2.74 1st/1.55 2nd), but most 904's have a 2.45 first and a 1.45 second, like the 727's. I THINK the 999s also have lockup converters.

They came up with that deeper first gear in about 1976 or '77 when they started using a 2.45:1 ring and pinion in the 8.25" axle housing that replaced the 8.75" rear that had been around since 1957.

There was a gas mileage crunch on, and Ma put those 2.45 ring and pinions in a lot of Aspen/Volares to boost their CAFE mileage, but it torpedoed off-the-line performance to the extent that they really needed a deeper first gear, so the 2.74 "low" gear-set was born.

A drag racer's delight... :cheers: LOL!

Bill

Well, now that I figure I won't be able to use it, I might as well put it up for sale. I have already rebuilt it, so it is nice & fresh. You early owners might have a need. No cracks, stripped holes, etc. Has ball & trunion shaft. I can add pics later, if anyone is interested. Let me know.

Thanks,
Russ
If you have the original convertor, you'll also notice that the snout doesn't fit the crank register properly. The '62 "B" body trans is also a lot longer than the "A" body trans. You won't be able to install the speedo cable after modifying the crossmember either. How do I know this stuff? That's because I have a '65 "B" body trans in my '65 "A" body race car.
If you want to sell the trans, PM me.

Russ, it is good to have your location on your avatar.:dontknow: Where are you located? I have a 904 sitting in a 74 dart that worked when parked for 100.00 and I will help you pull it . Walt

PS pull the 318 all in one piece for 200.00:cheers:

Thanks, but I live in Las Vegas. I appreciate the offer, but luckily a friend of mine has one in So Cal I can pick up. He also has a 999 that I can make a frankenstein out of.

-
Back