I'm considering a new hand gun... HELP!

-
Oh, and I own a revolver or two, also.

Yeah, I likes me a good revolver. I have a few Rugers, but this'n I really like.

Rossi .357, the trigger was lightened to improve accuracy. It's dead on at 25 yards or so.

Attachments

• Rossi.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 208
Yeah, I likes me a good revolver. I have a few Rugers, but this'n I really like.

Rossi .357, the trigger was lightened to improve accuracy. It's dead on at 25 yards or so.

Just like my competition Rossi except mine is the snub nose. Really nice guns they are.

Here is my Rossi. And the little NAA is what I carry WHEN I carry.

Attachments

• ROSSI.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 222
  • NAA.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 255
Frank, are you looking for something to actually carry? Check out the P-10 Para Ordinance. Always wanted one. It's a sub compact 45 ACP.

I like this idea for a "carry" weapon, and I will probably do that, Right now I'm looking for a full size 1911, Just a little confused as to who's. There are so many in my price range that I'm overwhelmed.

I thought getting some suggestions from people who have already proved their good taste, and even an opinion or two from "BS" Bruce, ("BS"=Bad Sport...chortle) would be a good idea.

I like a lot of what I'm reading...

I'm going over to Eagle Gun range later today to try out of couple of candidates.

It really boils down to what you want to spend. For me the Springfield fit the bill, had I been able to just toss out a grand for a 1911 I would have gone a different route.

The Springfield isn't a bad piece, but would I rather have a Colt for instance, yes!

Are you looking for a 1911 because that's a favorite of yours, or because you think a .45 is necessary (all the current lit suggests that, with modern bullet design, the 'good for girls' 9mm is a great stopper, and you get a lot more in the magazine to increase the number of chances to get meaningful hits).

Low end 1911s will probably need smithing (a 'reliability job') in order to reliably feed anything but FMJs - that (used to be) a couple hundred bucks and a few (a lot?) weeks. Kimbers were a great package until people found out and the raised their prices.

Something changed in my grip over the years, and I finally need a beavertail on my 1911 (it just started biting me - never a problem until recently). They're heavy (so they make a good club when you run out of ammo ;-)).

If you're open to other-than-1911s, try a Glock. They're ugly, and the trigger isn't as nice, but they go bang every time (I've had two misfeeds in 25 years, and both were with remanufactured ammo that I bought in bulk, and, upon examination after the jam, the bullet was seated cockeyed and the case was crumpled on one side - nothing would've fed them).

Which leads to a point - somebody (Mas Ayoob maybe?) recommended that you get all your serious ammo (carry, home defense whatever) out and roll them all (to make sure you don't have any cockeyed bullets), then weigh them all on a precise scale (to check for powder problems - although that part sounds more like something the bench rest crowd would do).

Make sure you run a couplathree boxes of the actual 'serious' ammo you want to use through the gun to make sure it feeds reliably, and change the 'serious' stuff out every few years.

It really boils down to what you want to spend. For me the Springfield fit the bill, had I been able to just toss out a grand for a 1911 I would have gone a different route.

The Springfield isn't a bad piece, but would I rather have a Colt for instance, yes!

I used to agree with you on Colt. Not so much now. For the under a grand range, all you can get is a Series 80, not a deal breaker, but just more to go wrong. I never noticed the difference in the trigger all that much. The big problem is that the quality control has gone way down. I don't know why, but I can imagine that the constant in and out of bankruptcy has a lot to do with it. On the other hand, a good used Series 70, if you can find them inexpensively, is always on my radar. I just want a Colt in my safe.

I really like the Kimbers, I think they're just a tad over priced and they don't have a great warranty. (Although, I hear they're customer service has jumped up by leaps and bounds).
Raptors are just drop dead cool.

Rock Island Armory makes a damn fine gun. We have had no problems with ours since new. I have fired other Rocks that lead me to believe the brand and the company are good to go. They also have a lifetime warranty that is handled out of Nevada and even though I haven't had to use it, I have seen where others have and the reports were, on the whole, very encouraging. A great shooter for a great price. I would say if you get one, pick up a 1911A1 Tactical. For not much more than a G.I. Model, you get the stuff most folks change anyhow. I would not hesitate to buy one again. (and probably will).

Springfield Armory. I can't keep from liking mine more every time I hit the range. Springfield has an outstanding lifetime warranty and the customer service is top notch. They also have a custom shop, should you feel the need to change some stuff around.
For me, this is my high end gun. I didn't like the full length guide rod, so I picked up a Wilson Combat G.I. guide rod and plug. That's the only change I've made. It even eats hollow points with out a complaint. The stainless is a bit flashy for me, but, like I said, I couldn't resist the price.

All that being said, it's all just BS if you don't like firing the weapon. Try out several different ones if you can. Find what's comfortable for you and what you can shoot well. There is no point in buying something you don't or won't shoot.

Are you looking for a 1911 because that's a favorite of yours, or because you think a .45 is necessary (all the current lit suggests that, with modern bullet design, the 'good for girls' 9mm is a great stopper, and you get a lot more in the magazine to increase the number of chances to get meaningful hits).

Actually both. I've always admired the 1911's, and, as a kid I've always wanted one, because it's the side arm of choice with the US military. I'd probably use it as my first choice to carry, also.

I'm not at all opposed to a 9mm, either, though. I've got several revolvers, and now I'm looking at semi-autos, but, I have relatively no knowledge of them. I've fired plenty of friends guns at the range, and I think now I'd like to own a few different ones. I'd like a .5, a 9mm, a 40, etc...

Low end 1911s will probably need smithing (a 'reliability job') in order to reliably feed anything but FMJs - that (used to be) a couple hundred bucks and a few (a lot?) weeks. Kimbers were a great package until people found out and the raised their prices.

Something changed in my grip over the years, and I finally need a beavertail on my 1911 (it just started biting me - never a problem until recently). They're heavy (so they make a good club when you run out of ammo ;-)).

If you're open to other-than-1911s, try a Glock. They're ugly, and the trigger isn't as nice, but they go bang every time (I've had two misfeeds in 25 years, and both were with remanufactured ammo that I bought in bulk, and, upon examination after the jam, the bullet was seated cockeyed and the case was crumpled on one side - nothing would've fed them).

Which leads to a point - somebody (Mas Ayoob maybe?) recommended that you get all your serious ammo (carry, home defense whatever) out and roll them all (to make sure you don't have any cockeyed bullets), then weigh them all on a precise scale (to check for powder problems - although that part sounds more like something the bench rest crowd would do).

Make sure you run a couplathree boxes of the actual 'serious' ammo you want to use through the gun to make sure it feeds reliably, and change the 'serious' stuff out every few years.

Good info. Thanks

What price range, or brands (models) do you consider "low end".
I'm considering a Colt Series 70, Auto-Ordnance 1911PKZSE, Remington1911 R1, and the Springfield Armory 1911"mil-Spec".

I also like the Ruger 6700, and a couple of S&W's.

I asked her if she would trade me for my Colt Python .357 but she wouldn't do it, dammit. :D

tell you what I will buy your python for 500, I'd like to add another python to my collection.
I have an early model python and it's worth way more than 400.
so are ya sell'n. lol just think of it, you will have an extra 100 for your car.[/QUOTE]

No thank you. :D

I have had two 1911 models. Both Colts. One was a brushed stainless series 70 in .45 ACP and the other was a Delta Elite in 10mm. The 10mm to ME is a great round because similar to the .357 it can shoot two rounds. The 10mm and the .40. I really liked the 10mm......BUT it was a total hot rod. It refused to eject low grain count rounds. They had to be HOT. The series 70 was a fine shootin weapon. I just moved on from them, because I am WAY more of a wheel gun guy. I figure if I cannot hit something with 5 or 6, then I probably oughtta die anyway. lol

I asked my gunsmith buddy about the Ruger 1911. He said it's not a Sig, but there sure isn't $300 difference in them. He's worked on them all, and said that would be his choice.

RustyRatRod - since you like the 10mm, this one's for you!
Used to love building these 6" barreled guns.
Whatever you think of Ted, you have to admit he can shoot.
These are SUPER tight tolerance guns. If you can feel movement in the slide to frame fit, you fail it. If you feel movement in the barrel to slide lockup, you fail it.
...and that's just in the semi-final check. Not just the upper echelon guns, the whole line above the Armscor guns, but they won't be had for under a grand.

[ame]https://youtu.be/GmfLZ4TnW7E[/ame]

Just to cut through some of the bullshit in this thread, the only difference between a series 70 and 80 is a firing pin block, which you can eliminate with a $10 shim, even though the only issue is preference and ease of breakdown/reassembly. A 1911 with either a ramped barrel or a smooth chamber and throat should feed anything from FMJ to JHP with no problem. Most feed problems are magazine or slide stop related. 9mm is neither a better stopper or significantly cheaper, especially in standard rounds, regardless of 'lit' fads.
You can run a recoil reducing guiderod/spring setup if the .45 is too much for you, which is not probable unless you run a box through a 3" barreled gun. My girfriend shot my two as her first guns ever, and had no complaints about recoil, though she had a hard time loading mags.

I am a southpaw so I'm biased but I like Ruger. HK, Springfield, Sig Sauer (made here in New Hampshire) are good too. All need trigger work. Factory and aftermarket support is important. Rugers are tanks, I shoot the stuffing out of them and they come back for more. I have a left handed AR and I love it. Can't keep ammo in the house. Mrs. Scampman has a .380 and LOVES it. Ammo is stupid expensive. 9mm is the cheapest. Even better if you buy in bulk. Hope this helps, good luck, have fun

If you are looking for a carry, I just got a Glock 43 9mm. I am a lifetime shooter and for carry, honest carry-not showing off-I can't think of too many nicer. My second Glock, goes bang every time I squeeze the trigger. Only thing is, if you have real big hands, might be a tough small.

BTW, a 9mm will kill any jackass out there.

Jason

What specifically are your intentions for the weapon use?
Just like everyone asks what are the intentions of the use of their car in regards to building an engine.
I work for a weapons components MFG plant for alot of hand weapon MFR's up to and above 20mm Vulcan cannons.
So, "use" is the question. Protection? Sport? Target? Hobby?

^^^
This first, Thx added Cruzin.

I'm going over to Eagle Gun range later today to try out of couple of candidates.

I've actually never been. We should get together and go sometime. My collection is thinning, but I have one or two I could take.

Mr Senior Lender said:

LOL,

Cruzin said:
What specifically are your intentions for the weapon use?
Just like everyone asks what are the intentions of the use of their car in regards to building an engine.
I work for a weapons components MFG plant for alot of hand weapon MFR's up to and above 20mm Vulcan cannons.
So, "use" is the question. Protection? Sport? Target? Hobby?

????
Update???

Pretty damn reliable out to 50 yds.....

Attachments

• WWWWW 102 (Small).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 133
  • WWWWW 105 (Small).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 136
I have a Stainless Springfield that I like, but it's picky on what you feed it. Recently got rid of a Glock 20 10mm, wasn't a fan of the trigger or the overall feel of it. I have a HK USP 40 that I got in a multi-gun deal that I like the feel of, gonna try and get rid of it for a USP Tactical 45 or compact for multi use. I want to try the Sig P220 out, but the version I want they no longer make. For carry I use a sp101 in 357, XDS 45, P232, or Baretta .25, depending on how I'm dressed and where I'll be going.

The last 1911 I bought was a new Series 70 Colt in stainless steel , shoots well.

But I know nothing about 1911's as at this moment I currently have 10 in the safe.

But my everyday carry gun is a model 65 S&W in 357 magnum with a custom 2in barrel

Attachments

• s-w_65-2in.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 126
  • US&S,Remington Rand ,and Colts 017.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 142
Frankie, Do yourself a favor and look into the Sig Sauer Brand. I have a P230 that I carry concealed with black talons. I also have a P226 that I bought initially but found it too big to conceal. Sig"s are the Caddilac of handguns. FBI, Secret Service, CIA carry them. I have a Springfield 1911 45ACP that I've had for years, but much prefer to shoot the Sigs

-
Back