Im depressed

-

GeorgeGerhard

Reaction score
Hello all
I purchased my 440 Dart back in late October, I knew it needed alot of front end and brake work. I really did not drive the car anywhere except across the street as I did not have insurance on it. Anyway over the winter as time permitted I replaced every front end component, had the steering box overhauled by firm feel, new champion radiator, new 750 holley carb, new brakes, calipers, master cylinder, braided steel brake lines.
I just finished yesterday getting the car back together, got the insurance, now I only need to get it registered.
So I decide to drive around the block a few times, my first to second shift is close to 3000 rpm, and very very hard, I dont know the speed as the speedo is inop, Second to third never came, I accelerated to close to 4000 rpm no shift to 3rd.
Im upset that I may have to rebuild the trans. The car has 4:56 gears
Could it be that this transmission really needs to get up there before it shifts to third? I think I was at least 40 mph or more and there was no shift to 3rd
I really want to start driving the car around
Perhaps I should have put this in the transmission forum, but is there anything I can do adjustment wise to get a shift?

thank you
George G

There should be a kick down :read2: What trans do you have ?
And yes, if the trans problem is all that is causing your depression I can help8)8).
I thought that there had to be a kick down system :read2: and it sounds like it is set to deep, or to far back into the kick down valve linkage.
I am by no means a tec , But I would post this in the Drive line or trans forum :happy10:

Sounds like the throttle preasure valve is being held in the open position? The kick down linkage.

With the Lokar cable,you should adjust it at wide open throttle.Then put a return spring on the kickdown lever at the transmission.Please do not drive the car anymore til you have this problem fixed,you will ruin the tranny.It might take a couple times,setting,adjusting to get it where you want it.Take your tools with you and adjust as needed.Good luck.

Ditto....... I had the same trouble with my Demon.......after playin' with it a bit, I got the adjuster set so that it shifted nicely at about 30 or so.....Mine did the same thing yours is doing.......

Throttle pressure......Can't be positive, but that's what it sounds like...might be stuck, BUT might just be an adjustment on the linkage.

A must do George, These tec's are here to help :happy10:
Thank you SGBARRACUDA, pettybludart and pastortom1 :cheers: I new it had to have one :-D and it must be adjusted or it will burn that trans up

George,

What these guys have said. Make sure the cable is adjusted correctly and that it has a return spring on it. The return spring will have a lot to do with throttle pressure being high and not letting it shift correctly. The higher the throttle pressure the higher the RPM will have to be before it shifts.

The lever (stock lever) at the transmission os lightly spring loaded, as an experiment you could disconnect the cable and tie the lever (I believe) full forward and drive it & see what happens.

Kim

thanks guys
So when the throttle is full open the lokar cable should be set so the kickdown level on the transmission is full open?
again thank you
George

thanks guys
So when the throttle is full open the lokar cable should be set so the kickdown level on the transmission is full open?
again thank you
George

Yes, but you also want to make sure when the throttle is at idle, it's also pulling the "Lever" all the way forward. Check this both with the cable hooked up and disconnected. There might not be enough travel in the cable that the lever needs to work all the way forward and backward.

All are talking about the aggresive throttle pressure. How is your reverse? Knowing that first and second work, this means the forward clutch [known as the rear clutch in mopar terms] is working. But if your trans goes into reverse firm and "crisp" then the direct drive clutch is working [known as the front clutch in mopar terms.] All this means...you should have third gear! So they are all right, but maybe the 2-3 shift valve is stuck... If you have a oil pressure gauge, install it in the tail housing 1/8 inch pipe plug. This is governor pressure, as road speed increases, so should governor pressure. At almost a pound of psi for each mph! Governor pressure must exist to have upshifts. It more than likely is working but for reference, governor pressure is a good component to look at for shifting and therefore valve body [shift valves moving].

i have the same kickdown and when i had the shop put it on they drove up an down the street 2-3 times until they said here ya go shes running sweet.

Hello
today I went under the car and moved the kickdown lever forward and it comes back on its own.
I did adjust the cable to try to stop so much pressure on the kickdown lever.
I jacked up the rear wheels and noticed it shifted into second much sooner, but still no third. Then I manually shifted from first to second, the shift was fine, then when I put it into third it shifted. But when I left it in drive no second to third shift.
Whats up with that?

thank you
George G

Sounds like either somethings goofy with the valve body or it's peculiarity oweing to a mod gone wrong? Does it have a shift kit and if so ,what?

thank you for the responses
I do not know about the specifics of the shift kit.
the shifter is the hurst slap stick. And I do want to look into that, as I dont like how it cycles through the gears

regards
George

Just to clarify things...

It shifts into third when shifting manually. So we know third works.

Does not shift into third automatically when in the DRIVE position.

Correct?

-
Back