In car cam swap

-

MR4V

Reaction score
Hi All

Looking at do a in car cam swap on a 73 Duster, just want to know if it can be done?

By the looks of it you need to remove the grill, radiator, radiator support bracket and the usual cooling and engine accessories.
Is there anything that I may have missed?

I've done a site search and have seen it can be done on early A bodies just didn't see anything on late A bodies.

Cheers

It's possible, yes the radiator does need removed. You can leave the grille and latch support in it.

I did it on my 73 318 duster. I had to remove the grill, radiator, water pump, alternator, etc. But was able to get it out around the hood latch support which was nice. Although it was a tight fit. I didn't want to have to mess with that. Theres a thread on it here that has pictures of the parts where i screwed up and people were able to help me. For example, I put the thrust plate in backwards and someone picked up on that before i put it back together. I think its something like "help wiped cam lobe"

I did it on my 73 318 duster. I had to remove the grill, radiator, water pump, alternator, etc. But was able to get it out around the hood latch support which was nice. Although it was a tight fit. I didn't want to have to mess with that. Theres a thread on it here that has pictures of the parts where i screwed up and people were able to help me. For example, I put the thrust plate in backwards and someone picked up on that before i put it back together. I think its something like "help wiped cam lobe"

Thanks perko, found your thread.

It helps to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the motor a smidge

Thank mopowers
Wasn't sure on the mounts and I'm happy to remove the support stay.

Going to upgrade from a Mopar 528 to a Howard Cams

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-712362-08

Engine is a stroked 360 and want to stay with a mechanical cam.

Did it on my 75 Dart with no issues. Fortunately it was a non A/C car....

It can be done.

FYI: Use the cam gear on the cam (with no chain) to help pilot it through the bearings while removing and installing. The bigger diameter gives more control so you don't nick up the bearings...

-
Back