-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Title says it all!!
I have looked every where for one!! I need an ealy model fuel cap for my 71 dart swinger. Must in good condition though. Feel free to pm me with what you have!!
Thank you!

This is a real tough cap to find. It's not made (by anyone) any more. It fits only '70 California plus early-production '71 50-state/Canada A-bodies. There is no other interchange. No other cap fits. It doesn't help that one of the repro parts vendors is a thoughtless, lazy nitwit who sent a '68 Dart to China for the quality-oriented people of that fine nation to copy a bunch of parts, then assumed that just because the basic A-body shell is the same from '67-'76, the gas caps are all the same. Wrong, that's three different caps that don't interchange, but now there's a flood of "67-76" A-body caps all over the repro parts market. :roll:

You may well find it easier to swap in a fuel filler pipe from a '72-'76 car, thereby allowing the use of the easily-found cap for that application.

I have a sale pending on one.......I will let you know later this week.

other wise, swapping filler necks is the way to go.

I guess i goofed i tried to answer this. So anyway what does it look loike ? I might have one and dont know it. Ive got a bunch laying around. show me a picture.

What does it look like ?? I might have one and dont know it.

I guess i goofed i tried to answer this. So anyway what does it look loike ? I might have one and dont know it. Ive got a bunch laying around. show me a picture.

I've seen this type of question before and would like to see one of these also. Are either of these correct?

Gas Caps.jpg

Do early '71 Dusters have the same problem? I have and early model '71 Duster that I picked up and the fuel cap doesn't fit tight and wobbles. I have tried caps from my other non-'71 cars and those caps wobble too. By looking at the filler neck it looks like the "ramp" for the cap "tangs" don't ramp up as high on the '71 as it does on my '70 and '72.

Chuck

Do early '71 Dusters have the same problem? I have and early model '71 Duster that I picked up and the fuel cap doesn't fit tight and wobbles. I have tried caps from my other non-'71 cars and those caps wobble too. By looking at the filler neck it looks like the "ramp" for the cap "tangs" don't ramp up as high on the '71 as it does on my '70 and '72.

Chuck

Yes,early to mid 71 dusters have the early neck,the mid and later 71s got the later style neck.I wish they would not have changed the dam filler neck hole pattern on the quarters so it would be a cleaner interchange.

Wow!! Ok so ive been away too long an havent been able to check this!!! An godartgo, if the sale falls through let me know! I really appreciate it. And thanks everyone else for the help an tips!!
I just may switch out the necks later on down the road. Seems easier!!

it seems 60-66 same,67-69 is same,70-71 some different,72-76 same,why did Jesus Chrysler do this to US?

I changed the filler neck on my '71 Duster this weekend from a filler neck on a '70 Dart parts car I have and the other caps I have now fit. All cured at this camp.

Anyone want an early '71 filler neck... It's really rare, 1 year only piece, sorry no cap, LOL.

Chuck

in the pic the one on the right looks to be correct, i just got in the mail what is thought to be a 71 cap, i'm going to try it out this weekend. i'll report back with pics and measurements.

This is some good stuff. Now you have my attention. I'm curious now. I'll check the field and see what i have or dont have. Good post.
Small Block

Cool info. A few years back someone scooped my gas cap on a 71 Swinger I was beating around with, and I couldn't figure out why. After trying multiple caps that I had I realized that for some reason that none fit correctly.. now I know why :)

Grant

in the pic the one on the right looks to be correct, i just got in the mail what is thought to be a 71 cap, i'm going to try it out this weekend. i'll report back with pics and measurements.

Any news on fitment EL5 ?

Yes Cheryl, well the one i got fits perfect, the grip sits horizontal to the ground so the stripes when applied on my 71 demon will look correct with half stripe and half butterscotch. here are some pics and measurements, the overall width from ear to ear is .635 and from the ear to the rubber seal is aprx .170. the ears are the smaller ones hope this helps if NE1 needs more measurements let me know, the one i thought is correct in your pic Cheryl looks to have ears/tangs that are to large.

011 (640x427).jpg

012 (640x427).jpg

013 (640x427).jpg

014 (640x427).jpg

015 (640x427).jpg

016 (640x427).jpg

017 (640x427).jpg

:thumbup: :wave: Xlnt pics Mike and thanks for following up. I can see the difference now and I'm sure your efforts will help others too...........8)

I remember starting a thread about my gas cap being crooked awhile ago. I ended up slotting the bracket so the stripes lined up LOL !!

I have 1 of each, what was shown in images by 6pk2goDemon. I tried them both, they both fit pretty tight in my 70 Duster. The one pictured on the right is the one i can give up to some one in need. Let me know.

Thanks

I have 1 of each, what was shown in images by 6pk2goDemon. I tried them both, they both fit pretty tight in my 70 Duster. The one pictured on the right is the one i can give up to some one in need. Let me know.

Thanks
that one is correct for a 70 maybe, but the 71 is a one year only

Either I dont understand how a micrometer works or that measurement isnt correct. .635 in my understanding is a little more than a tenth of an inch over a half inch. Dont take this as sarcastic as I rarely use micrometers but might this be one inch .635 which would sound right for an 1.25 or 1.50 tube?

:thumbup: :wave: Xlnt pics Mike and thanks for following up. I can see the difference now and I'm sure your efforts will help others too...........8)

I remember starting a thread about my gas cap being crooked awhile ago. I ended up slotting the bracket so the stripes lined up LOL !!

GM trucks built from the mid Seventies into the Eighties used a cap that looks very close to an A-body cap. The dead giveaway is that they will sit at a 45 degree angle from level when installed on a Mopar.

Either I dont understand how a micrometer works or that measurement isnt correct. .635 in my understanding is a little more than a tenth of an inch over a half inch. Dont take this as sarcastic as I rarely use micrometers but might this be one inch .635 which would sound right for an 1.25 or 1.50 tube?
Your right i forgot the 1, should be 1.635 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back