In frame cam change?

-

tomcopbar

Reaction score
I have a 71 Dart, 318 2 bbl, i want to put a 4bbl on and want to put in a mild cam just to better suit the intake, I was also thinking of putting the 302 heads on that I have lying around (I think my valve seals are gone in the engine in the car, lots of blue smoke at start-up but not when running) just for something to do over the winter. The problem is I dont have the space to pull the engine, so I am wondering if the cam can be changed with the engine in frame and what it takes to complete the job in the easiest way. If anyone has tried this it would be helpful if you could give me a short step by step list of what you did. If it is to much of a hassle I will leave well enough alone until I complete my other engine, about 3 yrs away...

I have a 71 Dart, 318 2 bbl, i want to put a 4bbl on and want to put in a mild cam just to better suit the intake, I was also thinking of putting the 302 heads on that I have lying around (I think my valve seals are gone in the engine in the car, lots of blue smoke at start-up but not when running) just for something to do over the winter. The problem is I dont have the space to pull the engine, so I am wondering if the cam can be changed with the engine in frame and what it takes to complete the job in the easiest way. If anyone has tried this it would be helpful if you could give me a short step by step list of what you did. If it is to much of a hassle I will leave well enough alone until I complete my other engine, about 3 yrs away...
Besides the obvious engine parts removed, you have to pull the radiator, AC condenser, grill, and grill/hood latch support. That might be a little easier than pulling the engine ;)

Hope this helps

j

Not sure about a Dart, but on my Barracuda I just needed to remove (the obvious plus) the hood latch support to swap cams...nice and easy. Pulling heads (in car) can be a pain depending on the headers you have on the car. Make sure you can get a socket on the lower head bolts for before you get too far.

I have a '71 Dart too. Hopefully its not necessary to remove the hood latch support, as mine is welded in.

Steve

-
Back