In Need Of Some 8 3/4 Technical Info

-
I believe these axles are small bolt pattern, they measure 4.25" cl to cl. I will be doing the narrowing so the cost is not that much.
Since I just spent two days cleaning this thing up and its squeaky clean and detailed how much could it bring???
Andrew

You don't measure from center to center of the studs to get the bolt pattern size. You measure from the center of one stud to the outside of the other to get the size. I don't know why the companies did it that way but they did. If you measured center to center and came up with 4.25" that's gotta be the bbp cause the stud is 1/2" and half of that is 1/4". Add 1/4" to 4.25" you measured and you got 4.5". Also note 4.25" stud centers was never used by Mopar anyway. Small pattern is 4" and big pattern is 4.5". Also for future reference if it was a 65 rearend it'd have bolt on brake drums. Not slip on drums. Real pain in the butt to work with cause you usually need the special puller to get the drums off.

hey blue,i,ve got a early b rear only 2 inches wider here in rosenberg with a 3. 23 gear 489 case i,d let go for 125. came out of a 66 net.

Dang daredevil, I need that for my 67 Commando clone. I dont know how I'll get it here though ;(

Fishy,
The only thing I had to go by was "65 fury 4dr" written on the axle tubes in yellow. Thats what Don was looking at also. Yes they are BBP axles and the backing plates measure a little over 12" in dia.

Andrew

Daredevil,
Thanks for the offer Ireally appreciate this group and their willingness to help.
Johnny, you need to read all the posts in a thread.
Charger,
your responce is the most interesting, I will have to do a little figuring and see if shorter than 51.4" ( stock A body length) gives me an advantage. Im building this thing for road racing and as is it will take a very large tire since I minitubbed it.
Andrew

What ?
I read the threads that counted.
Don sold you a rear end he said "would fit",that means an A-body rear.
He didnt say would fit after cutting,fabbing ect. It doesnt matter if it was $100.00 or $500.00 Don misrepresented what he sold you.
Andrew,you need to know what your looking for.

I will have to do a little figuring and see if shorter than 51.4" ( stock A body length) gives me an advantage. Im building this thing for road racing and as is it will take a very large tire since I minitubbed it.
Andrew

Stock A 8.75's aren't 51.4". They are 52 5/8" +/- a smidge

Never seen a A body rear in a 68-72 car have a track width of 55.6 like in the other link, re: everything you ever... All have been 57 1/8.

Be careful with the info on the net. Some of it is very wrong.

Minitubbing, you'll be better off with a shorter rear for wheel offset. Stock length you need a 15x10 with 7.25" backspace, or right around there. Most of the cars I end up working on have rears from 48" to 52" total width. my Duster has a 50.5" rear, 15x10 with 4.5" BS IIRC.

You can buy a cut down for a body housing for $250-300 from bob mazolini in riverside.
There are different b body lengths.fyi one of them will fit in nice with the right offset wheel.

A body 8 3/4 are narrower than a body 7 1/4. fwiw something to ponder when considering the narrower b body rear in an a body.

. . . . Also for future reference if it was a 65 rearend it'd have bolt on brake drums. Not slip on drums. Real pain in the butt to work with cause you usually need the special puller to get the drums off.

Actually 64 was the last year for the bolt-on brake drums on the 8.75 and you're right about the special puller needed for the drums. Early B (62-64) owners are always looking for 65 through 70 8.75s (or same year Danas) since those years are a bolt-in for the 62-64s.

Fishy,
The only thing I had to go by was "65 fury 4dr" written on the axle tubes in yellow. Thats what Don was looking at also. Yes they are BBP axles and the backing plates measure a little over 12" in dia.

Andrew

Yeah I know how it is Andrew.

Actually 64 was the last year for the bolt-on brake drums on the 8.75 and you're right about the special puller needed for the drums. Early B (62-64) owners are always looking for 65 through 70 8.75s (or same year Danas) since those years are a bolt-in for the 62-64s.

Thanks for the correction Dartman. I thought 65 was the last year for the bolt on drums. Heck I was only 1 back then so it's hard to remember what I worked on. LOL

You don't measure from center to center of the studs to get the bolt pattern size. You measure from the center of one stud to the outside of the other to get the size. I don't know why the companies did it that way but they did.
The companies don't do it this way, really. We do it as a good enough way of checking the size of a 5 lug bolt pattern. The diameter of the bolt pattern would be 4.5", for example, but when measuring from lug to lug, you are not measuring the diameter, because the lugs are not on opposite sides. By measuring to the outside edge of one of the lugs, it adds a little to the measurement. Just enough to get a close enough measurement of the bolt circle. If you measure from center to center of a 4 lug bolt pattern, you would get the correct measurement.

-
Back