In-tank fuel pumps

-

33IMP

Reaction score
What a stupid f#@king idea! What MORON came up with this? Obviously, not somebody who will ever have to replace one!
I've already given/thrown away a nice little car when the fuel pump failed for the third time.
Now it appears that my stolen/ruined/recovered Z28 needs another pump. So I looked up what's involved .
1. Put on lift. (got no lift)
2. Take off rear wheel
3. Disassemble rear suspension.
4. siphon 10 gals of gas out into container.
5. Etc.
So I called a friend who runs a shop. Goodguy quote, for me.... $1500, to fix a $2500 car.
So, now what? I can't do it, don't wanna pay for it, throw away ANOTHER good car for a dead f#@king fuel pump? Damn.
I'd like to get my hands on the f-ing imbecile who thought putting a pump INSIDE the tank was a good idea........

How valuable is the car to you? Investigate cutting an "access port" in the floor above the pump and then patching it? Hey, it's been done...............(maybe not in one of those.............

'99 to 2002 F body cars:

Cut access hole and pull up and out the top, (inside trunk).

Easy to work on for future troubles too.

Screenshot_20240711-145739_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240711-145743_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240711-145600_Firefox.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Its design for assembly, not service.

What brand of pump are you buying? Bad wiring could be killing the pumps.

What year Z28?
97, last year of the lt1. I wish it was a LS car, but it's not.
I bought it from my gf's sister, so she could afford a new (used) camaro ss. It WAS immaculate, with a fresh lt1 in it, until it was stolen out of my garage while i was out of town.
It's so ruined by the thieves I can barely look at it, had a bad starter, so it sat. I fi ally put a starter on it....... and it won't fire, a VERY silent in tank pump.

How valuable is the car to you? Investigate cutting an "access port" in the floor above the pump and then patching it? Hey, it's been done...............(maybe not in one of those.............
I tried that on the previous car, the one on its third pump. Never did get it running again, no emotional investment, so I threw it away.

Here is one for a '97 >

Easy Fix, put in the complete fuel pump assembly.

Screenshot_20240711-151551_Firefox.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back