in the garage working need some quick help

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
is there a key or trick to getting the upper control arm in? I have them on the correct sides and even looked at some photos of other members cars but I cant seem to get it to go. Its like the control arm is a tad wider then the spot it goes in.

Are the bushings pushed in all the way. Or maybe a small prybar and a little love from a rubber mallet. good luck

it is easier to start the front or rear side first? I got the passanger side in and bolted up but the driver side doesnt seem to want to go

someone probably cranked the cam bolts down too much in the past and closed the opening some. i usually hit them in with a hammer and block of wood.. may have to spread the openings a hair.

Are the mounting tabs bent? Check those sleeves for the bushings to make sure they're pressed all the way in

Mine involved a 2 lb hammer, and lube. And bad words. Make sure the brackets are straight, as as the old bushings shrunk/wore, each time it was aligned and tightened, it bent the brackets in.

ok on the upper control arm where the bushings are there is a metal disc on both sides of the bushing how do you keep them in place?
the keep wanted to fall out and its a hassle

Try using a little bit of silicone on the sleeve that presses into the bushing. Let it set up a couple of minutes.......

someone probably cranked the cam bolts down too much in the past and closed the opening some. i usually hit them in with a hammer and block of wood.. may have to spread the openings a hair.

I agree. I just did this a month ago, and had one side that just wouldn't cooperate. I persuaded the opening up a little on both sides, used some grease and a BFH (rubber) to tap the control arm into place. It'll go...eventually.

It shouldn't go in so easy one side at a time. I work left and right and carry both bushings into position as evenly as possible. Most times I knock them right on past the bolt holes then use a small pry bar underneath the bring them up to aligned.
Front end work is sooo much fun LOL

It shouldn't go in so easy one side at a time. I work left and right and carry both bushings into position as evenly as possible. Most times I knock them right on past the bolt holes then use a small pry bar underneath the bring them up to aligned.
Front end work is sooo much fun LOL

You got that right.It was a real pain for me.

well im back at it. im putting the spindles together. I either marked one of the caliper bracket/adapter wrong when I took it apart last summer or the whole thing is backwards.

Here is some photos does this look correct this is the passanger side?

Attachments

• Pass spindle.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 121
  • pass spindle2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 108
Eventually they will settle in, my front end seemed more squirlley after i rebuilt it but it finally settled in and is fine now,it does squeak a little when it's cold out side[polygraphite bushings].

Here you go Bill. Im installing the LCA into the K frame Im wondering if there is suppose to be a gap there or do they need to touch?

and if all is correct I should be able to tighten up the ball joints and pin them right?

Attachments

• LCA.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 86
-
Back