Increase HP/ Performance?

-

brandon2701

brandon2701
Reaction score
Just was wondering if there is anything that I could do to my stock 360 LAblock w/o having to pull the engine back out and pull it all apart? stuff like what size carb. would increase or does it matter, distributor swap, practically any external HP and performance items that I can swap for stock or add to the engine without a complete or minor surgery? THANKS

Without even minor surgery? That's a tough call.

What are the details on your combination now? What kind of car? Points or electronic?

totally dead stock?

I'm a young bloke so forgive me but i bought the 360 off the mainland when i was a sophomore in Highschool, 2 years later we put the engine into my '68 Dart 270. So all I kno is that i have and edelbrock 650 on it and swapped it to an electronic ignition. Other than that its stock from what i understand. My father and I dont even remember what car or truck the engine came from, just kno that its an LA 360. I just wanted to know if maybe a bigger carb. would increase and what the small things are that can help increase my engine. hope this helps, thanks.

Tell us what you have.
Stock intake?
manifolds?
Best thing for some more performance is start with the basics:
make sure its running well good plugs,wires,cap rotor. set the timing for best performance.
Play around with carb a little get running the best you can.
hows the timing gears?
if its an old fuel pump swap that out
If you have already done this next step would be:
Nice dual plane intake like a Edelbrock performer.
headers dual exhaust
electric fan
tell us more about your car automatic or standard what do you have for gearing?
With a small stock cam I would not go any bigger than the 650 carb.

First things that come to mind is the distributor. I would take the distributor to a quality shop that can recurve the vacuum advance. Second check out your plug wires, and ensure that they are indeed getting spark to the plugs. Check your spark plugs, to see if they are not oil fouled or carboned up. If they are carboned up, clean and or replace. Check the gaps of the plug, and set to factory specs. Check your distributor cap, and rotor to check for evidence of shorting out. If the cap and rotor are fine, then go on to the carburetor.

You say it is an Edelbrock 650, those are very common and easy to find carb rebuild kits for it.

Check your timing, by using a timing light and check it. A web search should show you how.

How's the fuel line to the carb? Any leaks, drips etc? Replace the fuel filter, should only be $3 to $5 for one.

Be sure to drive it often, in order to ensure it gets some exercise.

The above items will keep you busy for a while.

A low dollar upgrade is gasket matched porting of your heads and intake.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your car.

Just noted vtmopar wrote much of what I did, so 2 people telling you basically the same info it is sound advice.

Timing is a good one. Anything for weight loss without swiss-cheesing the car.

180* thermostat?

Exhaust is a cheap upgrade that helps depending on what you have. its easy till you get into the manifolds anyway.

Again, depending on what you've got, there's power with an intake swap.

I think the Holleys make better power, but it probably makes no difference on a near stock engine.

Which island do you live on? On Kauai you could probably run 4.56 gears on a daily driver. LOL

What rear end does your car have?

Steve

put a steep gear in it

And a good bit more stall converter!

Other things like the distributor, timing of it and dual exhaust even off the manifolds are good ideas. Theres enuff carb there @ 650cfm.

If a cam change is to much for you, your options ar preety limited. Otherwise I'd suggest that and a head milling/pro head work. Just a good valve job and a compotion multi angle one at that. Gasket matching isn't a bad idea ethier.

What trans and rear gear?

-
Back