Increased final sales tax on eBay

-

vtmopar

Reaction score
WTF?
I don't sell whole lot but I was looking at my invoice for November and I see that the final sales fee was increased to 9%
on top of the insertion fees and extras that's quit a bit
Example I sold an item for $200 after being paid through paypal and all the fees it cost me $23.50
I am having a hard believing this increase.
Anyone else notice this?

Yes, their final value fees have been 9-12% for a couple of years now. I only list stuff there if I can't find a buyer anywhere else.

With PayPal, etc, you can easily blow 15%.

Even from a buyers point of view, ebay is really starting to suck. Ebay is not doing a good job of policing "key word spamming" and othe stuff similar.

I was searching for stuff like electronic test equipment and other electronics, and you get these BS sellers, example:

selling a cheap easy to find 12AU7 vacuum tube, and they'll have it all spammed up with "used in Hewlett Packard and Tecktronix oscilloscopes, Mullard and Hammond amplifiers, and *** guitar amps an I tested this with my Heathkit tube tester and.......the BS just doesn't quit

So if you're looking for let's say a "Heathkit" item, you are spammed with hundreds of hits on useless vacuum tubes.

Many auctions for some MAGIC reason, don't even have the "report" function present

Searching for car parts is even worse.

They have a virtual monopoly on this type of on line auctions. Someone else needs to develop and alternate auction site to give them competition. They have gotten rediculus on their fees and rules. I've been buying there since the 90s and last year I tried selling for the first time. After a few items I threw in the towel. It's just not worth the cost and hassle.

Once craigspal or other craigs list readers become more widespread, The private seller will come back. I think E bay will more or less morph into an amazon type market where people will just post their used stuff right next to the store front sellers. I was looking for a another camera and Amazon has it cheaper from a brick and mortar store than 99% of the "fixed price auctions" WTH? But you still can beat Ebay for getting your stuff some exposure, it all has a price. Send and receive all paypal funds as "personal" to get around fees if the parties are cool with that. But you know what, selling Mopar parts on FABO is great among friends..sortof. We know what its worth, the communication is great, and if you stiff someone, your outed as such. Bye Bye buddy!

what about an all mopar auction site in these A,B,E,F mopar classic and truck forums eliminate all repop and late model car auctions no venders. wouldn't that be a site of the decade. I would even concider all american classic cars and parts but only used or NOS. no repops or venders as stated. They just jamm up the site. You screw someone your banned from selling or buying if you don't make it right.

WTF?
I don't sell whole lot but I was looking at my invoice for November and I see that the final sales fee was increased to 9%
on top of the insertion fees and extras that's quit a bit
Example I sold an item for $200 after being paid through paypal and all the fees it cost me $23.50
I am having a hard believing this increase.
Anyone else notice this?

To me that sounds pretty reasonable for a worldwide audience on your part.

Look closely at that invoice-they also charge a 9% fee on your SHIPPING price! I called them and asked why I should pay anything for shipping and they said thats just the way it is. When asked they agreed a:they did not purchase any of my shipping materials, b:they did not pack the item for the buyer, and c:they did not take their time to take the item to the post office to be mailed out. So I said "why the hell should I pay you 9% ?!" To which the girl replied "Because we can, find someplace else to advertise worldwide." I've been selling for 13 years and have 250 100% positive feedback, I won't be using them anymore, I'll stick to Craigslist and get 100% of my money in cash immediatly.

Sell your item cheap and jack up the shipping fees. You don't get nailed for your shipping fees and you end up with more money. Buyers understand that. Just don't be too obvious about it.

Sell your item cheap and jack up the shipping fees. You don't get nailed for your shipping fees and you end up with more money. Buyers understand that. Just don't be too obvious about it.

Wrong-read my post above. They now charge 9% on shipping costs to cover for people doing exactly that. So they are collecting 9% final action price AND 9% shipping fee.

Wrong-read my post above. They now charge 9% on shipping costs to cover for people doing exactly that. So they are collecting 9% final action price AND 9% shipping fee.
Yup that is true. They did this because some people were charging 99 cents for something and 70 dollars shipping so us honest people get the screws now.

It's too bad because you used to be able make a pretty
Penny on selling on eBay.
I don't like screwing Somone over shipping to cover the extra fees

-
Back