Industrial slant six?

-

Shrug

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 64 Barracuda with a frozen engine. My buddy says he has a, industrial slant 6 225 that he pulled out of a tractor.
Will that bolt in to my car? What is the difference between a regular and an industrial slant six?

The only differences your likely to find would be the Balancer, and possibly the carburetor. The timing tab and mark may be in a different location. I don't know about the distributor.

The parts off of your car engine will bolt up. Some of the accessory mount points may need to be drilled/tapped, but that you'd have to verify.

The engines are the same castings. If you have an automatic tranny, make sure the crank pocket is the same size. That's year specific, not a difference between the industrial and automotive engines. 67 and earlier have the small crank pocket, 68 and later have large. To use an early transmission on a late model engine install a bushing.

Get the identification stamped on the tractor block and tell us what it says. (Passenger right side on the deck surface the head bolts to near plug #1 in most cases.)

CJ

The short answer is YES. You will need to keep the bolt ons from your Cuda.
Like the oil pan timing cover etc. the tractor will probally use a govenor set up. All slants I have seen were drill and tapped for the accys. Ceej is correct about the years and crank pocket. Remember your tranny is a 1 year only if its a 904 Auto, but it will bolt up to any slant engine.
The Tractor may have the shot peened crank 8).
Have fun and ask questions along the way,
Frank

An industrial engine should have a double roller timing chain, Tufftrided crank, and shot peened rods. It may or may not have 4 ring pistons in it also.

-
Back