Ineed frame tie advice for the '67 fastback please!

-

Gen2Cudas

Reaction score
I have been reading up on articles having to do with frame ties from Allpar, Mopar Muscle Magazine, Mopar Performance, etc. Some are bolt-in, some weld, some fabricated, some pre made. . .

Currently looking at AMD ties which are weld in. Question for me is, which ones? I am looking to have the car adjusted in some way so that the stress is off the body center, the front and rear sub-frames are straight, level and properly aligned before installation. Where do I find this kind of information? Is it even necessary? Do these ties automatically pull the car back into shape by virtue of their length and installation procedure?

I could see that these kind of ties might just be slapped in, with the sag of the car after 43 years now permanently welded in, so to speak. I would think that anything you did here would affect the adjustments needed for camber and castor, perhaps even exceeding the amount of adjustment built into the front suspension. I was thinking that bolt-ins might be okay- get the frame alignment correct, tighten all the bolts, then weld the ties to make it permanent. . .

What sort of approach would be best in this case? Sure wouldn't want it to drive "sideways" after they were installed!

Gonna make a purchase this week and get the things to the body guys here fairly soon, along with a trunk floor pan. Any thoughts would be appreciated- likewise, any other sources for metal and ties that I could look at before purchasing. Want this to be right the first time- not only for the suspension performance, but for how the doors close, the fenders and hood align, etc.

Thanks folks!

Mike

If your car is out of shape the only way to get it back is by having it put on a proper frame alignment machine at a body shop.

As far as subframe connecters go…. They all do basically the same thing. You have the homemade, Mopar bolt ins, the more exotic ones that are contoured to the floor pan.

I have seen some very nice ones made by members here. The Mopar bolt ins (that's what I have on my car) will get the job done and are inexpensive (you can also weld them if you want).

Just get whatever matches your budget and installation skills. Any subframe connector will be an improvement. It is one of the first mods that should be done on any a-body in my opinion.

I have the US car tool conectors in my car. Took alot of fitting as my car is a rag top. But the finished product looks like a full frame, and made the car very stiff, for a better feel.

I have the US car tool conectors in my car. Took alot of fitting as my car is a rag top. But the finished product looks like a full frame, and made the car very stiff, for a better feel.

See, those are the ones that I saw previously, but did not bookmark. I like the way they involve the floorpan in the welding process and help stiffen both the flex there as well as making the subframes unable to flex at the undercar endpoints. . .and I have seen mine flex more than I thought it would while I was placing jackstands under the frame and behind the front wheel. And, yet. . .any potential for vibration cracks at those spot welds? Is the metal about 18-20 gauge, same as the floor itself and depending on its shape for rigidity? I've wondered that too.

With a ragtop, they also put in front or front and rear stiffeners (triangle shaped) at the subframe endpoints outward toward the rocker panel and quarter panel lower edge I've seen. "Charlie" (daughter's ragtop) only seems to have the front stiffeners.

Just how much "fitting" did you need to have done J? I would love to see pics of the process if you still have some.

If your car is out of shape the only way to get it back is by having it put on a proper frame alignment machine at a body shop.

As far as subframe connecters go…. They all do basically the same thing. You have the homemade, Mopar bolt ins, the more exotic ones that are contoured to the floor pan.

I have seen some very nice ones made by members here. The Mopar bolt ins (that's what I have on my car) will get the job done and are inexpensive (you can also weld them if you want).

Just get whatever matches your budget and installation skills. Any subframe connector will be an improvement. It is one of the first mods that should be done on any a-body in my opinion.

Without a doubt- all of you on here have sold me on them as a necessity.

As far as mine being "out of shape", I have hit stuff with it, jounced heck out of it on hills and railroad tracks, run through ditches, got stuck in ditches sideways, overloaded the interior with too many people and/or material, etc. etc. It has to be tweeked out of shape at least some. Me, I would love to have what the guys at the factory did to hold everything where they wanted it before it got welded. Failing that, just the measurements. Goodness knows they weren't building a watch here. If I gotta, I will string line the front and back frames, for at least parallel with front and back, make sure the front and back aren't twisted in relation to one another, try to jack it in such a way that the front and back subframes seem to be at least parallel to one another for height from a level floor and just have at the welding.

Be back later or tomorrow guys- my Mom broke her hip over the weekend and I am off the help out with my Dad's mowing and such.

Appreciate the input so far.

Mike

I had to do about 8 hrs of cutting and grinding to get them up against the floor. Once they are up there you have alot of contact with the floor. When I ran my e-brake cable I ran a tube through the conecter at an angle for the cable to run through. I would think the car would have to flex alot to make the floor brake away at the welds.

-
Back