Iner axel seal Remove

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok this 8 3/4 is all apart and wire wheeled:cheers:What can I use to remove the inner grease seal, an screw driver,plyers,BFH what do you boys use.Thankssss

I use a seal remover, a bar with a hook. But have used screwdrivers, piece of pipe, etc.

I have hooked some with the end of the axle and pryed it out.
I have used a cordless driver and drywall type screws to draw them out.

well this sounds interesting all great tips.Ok now how to install it and what have you boys used.Someone has said be carefull on far in you install it.

I have all kinds of experience here. I bought a seal remover and took one side of it off with a cut off wheel. It will hook and you pull on the seal and it will come out. Intallation, go buy a seal driver kit. It has a stud center and different sized drivers. Match up the one to the seal and pound it in. As far as going to far that is true. Before you pound it in stick your fingers in there and you can feel the flange. That is where you stop. When you put the axle in you must be careful not to touch the new seal with the splines of the axle. You can either be really careful or, wrap the end with newspaper or a magazine cover. Ounce you get past the seal pull back the paper and go the rest of the way in. Oh yeah, A old mechanic i work with takes a little rtv and spreads it around the perimeter of the seal. I have the best luck with the seals at Federated Auto. I suggest buying two, just in case you screw one up. It is a little hard to get in going straight at first. Good luck. If you want to talk on the phone Pm me with your number and I walk through if you need.

Mopker thanks for the help bro,you might get a e mail soon.At this point i am not ready to install anything ,getting all my knowledge from this site and then tackel it in about 3 weeks or so.Thanks boys now lets go raceing.

Anytime. I reread my post. The rtv is applied after the install. Look forward to talking to ya. This is the stuff that makes this a great site. Helping each other with there cars and keeping this a hobby.

you got that right,its a hobby but sometimes a pain in but LOL.Was thinking on the green bearings but now I will stick with the oem.Now to find a compleate kit.

you got that right,its a hobby but sometimes a pain in but LOL.Was thinking on the green bearings but now I will stick with the oem.Now to find a compleate kit.
You don't need a kit. Just go buy the seals.

Ok today I will start calling around for prices.I did buy the locking pawl from e bay yesterday 15 bucks to my door,that part was not with the rear.I would like to up load some pics but we cant find our card reader.:angry7:

-
Back