Info on some carb trouble i have been having

-

65WaxUcuda

Barracuda Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, yep on Wednesday my cuda broke down on of all places.... a dam intersection! So i got people flicking me off i really cant get out because it is 5:00 traffic and im trying to keep cool. All i did was pull up to the light, knocked it out of gear and ............... it quit! :rock: So i hurry and think oh lemme just pat the throttle a little bit it should crank right on up! looked over at my girlfriend and smiled & said "everythings ok" yeah seems like the next words were put it out of gear and grab the wheel and steer while i try to push it to the parking lot. There luckly was a parking lot 20 ft from where the car stopped in Traffic. So i push and push finally i get it rolling, two guys jump out of this van behind me and push me on to the parking lot. And i can finally breathe for a minute. And i could smell the engine it was flooded so i wait a few and try to crank it up i have no tools no nothing and im a good ways away from my house. So i call my grandfather to come and see if he wanted to help tackle this one. So we stayed looking, wondering, and we tryed a couple things thought it would start right on up.. Everytime we got it to crank it would crank for a moment and just flood right out. Which puzzle us. So after a ride home on a rollback from my grandfathers good friend and got it home we tryed to spray a little starting fluid in the carb, then crank it but hell that wasn't working at all, same deal flooding out everytime so today we go take the carb off and get everything unscrewed and we find tons of rust and small particles of almost dirt or mud...... puzzled the **** out of us and still is because the carbs new and we put a new fuel filter on and its the kind that you can see whats flowing through your line and theres no nothing in it its just as clean as can be and how in the heck did trash get inside the carb.. I dont know, so anyways we clean the carb out and then we put everything back together. Well what do you know, put the carb back on and turned the key and cranked right up! :headbang: So we let the gas get to everything and give it some gas and before you know it im heading out to make sure everythings working before we get to far and i get to the stop sign, then go, and the go through all 4 of them.. on my road i live on not many people so i gas it all the way to my house and boy did cleaning that carb help out. It had a good power increase from what it was.. I got a few pictures to add but my computer is not allowing me to resize them or something ill figure out how to get them up! later Mopar buds. O and im talking about a 65 barracuda 273 4 speed.. - jeff

I hope it's not one of those p.o.s. glass filters that is just laying on top of the intake. The screen is to large and the glass has a tendency to break and puke gas all over. I would suggest putting a better filter on, and keeping an eye on it. Sounds like the sedement from the tank and lines has collected in your carb.

you dont say wha tkind of carb it is..I'm thinking Carter (original?). If it's a newer Edelbrock, the stone filter that came in the fuel inlet are just as bad as a rusty fuel tank. The see thru glasss ones dont trap nearly what you need them to, so ditch that..In addition to the breakage concerns...The best I've found is a steel canister with 5/16 or 3/8" nipples. They last a while, and filter very well. If you really want to "watch", then run the see thru plastic deals with the nipples molded in that cost $1.50. I've run them to clear up rusty tanks before..Because you can see when it's plugged...lol.

sounds like the gas tank has some crud in it,
been there did that ugh.

Add a second inline gas filter Before the fuel pump.

-
Back