Info.Request.

-

Bob.B.

Reaction score
HI Guys,
I'm a new member and I just found me an original equipment 70 Cuda 440 Mag. I was curious to know if you could provide me with some info on the drive train.The car came with a 4spd manual and a Hurst shifter and when I looked up the VIN#,it stated a special price car vehicle.Please help me out with the transmission and rear axle type model numbers.Thanks alot.Bob. :-k

Bob. Look on your fender tag, see if it has an A33 or A34 code on it. In the tech section are some pics of rear ends. Don't wear horizontal stripes, it'll make your rear end look big.:grin: The Barracuda is" BH", Gran Coupe is "BP", 'Cuda is "BS". Hope this helps. Ray

Hello Ray,
Thank you much for the info you provided.I'll make sure I won't wear the horizontal stripes either.Thanx again.
Bob.

LM23P9B said:
Bob. Look on your fender tag, see if it has an A33 or A34 code on it. In the tech section are some pics of rear ends. Don't wear horizontal stripes, it'll make your rear end look big.:grin: The Barracuda is" BH", Gran Coupe is "BP", 'Cuda is "BS". Hope this helps. Ray
Hello Ray,
Sorry to bother you,I found the "A34" on the fender tag.I know my car is a "Cuda" 440 Mag.I was wondering if you knew anything about the 4spd tranny in it.It came with a hurst shifter but does that mean that it's a hurst transmission also.How can I find out using the codes I have the transmission make and model#.I appreciate any help I can get.Thanx again.Bob

Hi Bob. Bother? No bother. Heck I thought that was why we're all here. Not to bother, to share our B.S stories, ask questions and help answer questions.
Yep, the "S" means special, that's what makes it a 'Cuda. New Process made the transmission, it's an A-833. Hurst made the shifter. The A34 means Super Track Pak. That's a good option. Dana 60 axle, 9.75 ring gear, 4.10 ratio with sure grip (like POSI, only better), power front disc brakes, max. cooling, 7 blade torque drive fan, Hemi suspension, N/A with air conditioning.
If you look on the side (pass) of the trans., you might still be able to see a 677 stenciled in yellow #s about 2" tall.
P.M. me with your fender tag info and we can go through it if you would like. Did you see the rear ends in the tech section? Hope this helps. Ray

Hello Ray,
Many thanx for the Info. you provided,I do appreciate it alot.I know I can't be much help with Mopar Products since I am new with them but I hope I can return you favor back some day.I didn't really see the rear end in the tech section because truly I didn't know how to get to it.About the fender tag#,I have found a tag with a bunch of numbers that I can show you.they go like this:R22 Y09 26 EMI M31 M88 N41 N42 N85
G31 G33 J45 L31 M21 M25 VIG A34 A62 B51 C16 C55 EF8 HGF8 000 C10 EO3553 E86 D21 BS23 UOB 212149.THANKS VERY MUCH.Take care now.

Hi Bob. The darn things are read from bottom to top, left to right. Why do they like to make it hard for us?
E86 440 4bbl High Perf. 375h.p.
D21 4spd A 833
BS23 B=Barracuda, S=Special (makes it a 'Cuda) 23= 2Dr Hdtp
U Engine code 440 1 4bbl 375h.p.
0 Model year = 1970
B Assembly plant = Hamtramck, Mi.
212149 Sequence# Thats how many total cars made at that plant to that point. They start at 100,000, all models included.
EF8 Color of body = Ivy Green Metallic
H6F8 Int. H= Trim grade= high, I think the "G" is a "6", 6= vinyl bucket seats, F8 = Interior color= Green
000 Upper door frame color. This has a full door panel so the top of the door is not painted it's covered by the panel. So there is no need for paint code for it.
C10 E03553 Vehicle order number (V.O.N.) not to be confused with V.I.N.. The Scheduled Production Date (S.P.D.) is part of the V.O.N.. C10 is it's S.P.D. Wed. Dec. 10, 1969. Don't know if Regional Sales gave it V.O.N. or who it came from. Anyone clear this up for us please.
V1G V1=Vinyl roof G=color Black Gator Grain (SWEET)
A34 Super Track Pak Dana 60, 4.10 Sure Grip See above post
A62 Rallye Instrument Cluster, 150m.p.h. speedo, woodgrain,Tach, clock, fuel, oil, and temp gauges, ammeter, 3spd wipers
B51 Power brakes, required with disc brakes on B, C, E Bodies
C16 Console w/woodgrain
C55 Bucket seats
G31 Right hand outside chrome Race mirror.
G33 Left hand outside Remote, Chrome, Race Mirror.
J45 Hood pins.
L31 Fender turn signal.
M21 Drip rail mldng.
M25 Body sill mldng.
M31 Body Belt mldng.
M88 Deck lid mldng.
N41 Dual exhaust.
N42 Chrome tips.
N85 Tach.
R22 Radio AM w/Stereo 8 track 10 watt.
Y09 Build to Specs. for Export.(NICE). Is there another tag on the core support? I think that's where it would be on a '70. Anyone have that info on where the export tag goes on a '70? Thanks.
26 26" Radiator.
EN1 end of codes assembly line 1
Nice car! Hope someone can help on the couple of questions that I have.
O.K., it's time to turn this thing off. 4:45 comes way early. To tired to go back and proof this so, we'll post it like it is. Ray
Crap! forgot to tell you how to get to the tech section. Click on Gallery, go to page 2, there should be a pic of a rear end and it says tech. Nite.

:happy7: :thumbrig: Hello Ray!
How is it going?U've been Lots of help and I do appreciate it alot.Like I said,I hope I can return your favors some day.Thanx again.Bob.

V1G wouldn't that be Green?
V1X would be black?
Sound like a nice piece with the options it has!
Military man ordered?

Check the trannys serial numbers and I can decode it for you.On the right front of the tranny case is a machined pad with numbers,post them and I will decode it for you,Mrmopartech

Thank you sir.I will do that and I sure do appreciate your direction.Bob.

You bet, glad to help. To bad that car doesn't have any good options and isn't a desirable one to keep. Send it and the title to me and I will dispose of it for you at no charge. LOL Sometimes I crack me up. J/K That's a nice one to keep, 1 of 334, not bad. I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of it. Post pictures and make black marks for us. __________ ______ ____ __
__________ ______ ____ __

3404 V1X would be Black but, V1G is Black Gator grain. They are both Black, the X has a uniform pebble texture, the common vinyl top. The G is for the Gator grain, it looks like Alligator hide. V1F would be green. Why do they do that to us? I'm thinking the same thing, Military order. That would be a great car to order and have waiting for you when you got home.

Mrmopar Do you know how or by whom the V.O.N. was assigned? Thanks.

Hello Ray,
Thanx for all the info you sent me so far.I was curious to know if my car is considered an "A" body or anything different.Remember it's the "Cuda".
Many thanx again.
Bob.

The first and second gen. ('64-66, '67-69) Barracudas are "A" bodies. The '70-'74 Barracudas, Gran Coupes ('70'-71), and 'Cudas, are "E" bodies. '70-'74 Challengers are "E" bodies also. I have a '70 Challenger. Road Runner, Super Bee, and Chargers are "B" bodies. Did you find the export tag on your car? Ray

Hello Ray,
So the Cuda is an "E" body.Thank you for replying and the info.I looked and did not find an export tag in the car.But it looks it has a tag next to the tag with all those numbers on it.But not readable and all wiped off.Also it looks like it's missing one in the same area because the lighted color pattern around it and the screw holes in it.Many thanx for your help.Talk to you soon.
Bob.

Yup, All Barracuda's after 1969 are E bodies, We wont hold it against you though. Sounds like its gonna be a nice car. Glad to have you.

Nice car Adam.Looks pretty fresh.I'm glad that U won't hold it against me.
My car is painted in a dark green color which I was told the original color has been a light green with a Gator sking top which obviously it's been removed and replaced with the vinyl.Now, I was curious to know if the hood was originally painted in black also.Like yours.Since I see a quite a few cudas with black hoods.Thanx for confirming the body type for me and I appreciate any tips I can get from you.Have a good one.Bob. :salute:

Only the 70 AAR Cudas had a black hood. Your should be body color.

I owned a 70 Cuda a few years ago. Mine origanally F* green also with green interior and a green top. My favorite color combo actually. To bad someone change it to Panther pink with a black interior and no vinyl top.

Hello Adam,
Thanx much for the info U provided.I've one more question to ask U if U don't mind.This car has it's mufflers eliminated meaning nothing absolutely nothing is on the way out for the exhaust.would u happen to know what kind and what size muffler I should be installing in order to quiet it down and also get the best performance possible.
Thanx much.Bob. :thumbrig:

From the factory they use 2 resonators before the axle (they look like a turbo muffler) and 2 mufflers on either side of the fuel tank (round cases) Most people will just run 2 mufflers were the resonators use to go.

I would run a nice 2.5" system with an H pipe. Mufflers will depend on what you feel quiet is. I have 3" flowmasters on mine and I dont think its that loud personally but my nieghbor doesnt care for it.

Remember the longer the muffler the quieter it will be. You may want to look at the Dynomaxx Super Turbo. The long case versions are called "Hemi" mufflers.

Hello Adam,
Thank u very much for the information U provided.I do appreciate it alot.Hope to return your favors.Thanx again.
Bob.B

-
Back