Initial Autopsy Results Are In....

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I started to disassemble the engine tonight. With the cam I not only woofed #1 intake, but #7 exhaust too. The bottom of the oil pan looks like metalflake paint, and the #2 main bearing is wasted. I haven't pulled a rod cap or any other mains. Oil pump pick up screen is a mess..... more metal than not. Cylinders look good so far. I think besides the cam & lifters, it's just going to be main, cam, & rod bearings. Possibly an oil pump, besides having it tanked.

Tomorrow night I'll pull it totally apart and know for sure. :?

onehellofadart said:
John, ant idea yet what caused the problem?

Probably a combination of too much valve spring pressure/pushrod angle and a crappy piece of sh*t cam.... I did have 1.6 rollers that I was swapping out when I found the dead lifter. I'm going to go with a .480-ish lift & less than 290 duration this time around. I'm also looking carefully at the pushrods again. I'm going with 1.5's rollers and I might shim the rocker shaft's too.

Me thinks the .509" + 1.6 rockers were a major contributor to my failure. Basically, I F`ked up...... :eek:ops:

Thats about .536" lift. Any pistons have valve marks on them ?

fastbackcuda said:
Thats about .536" lift. Any pistons have valve marks on them ?

Nope. Not a mark... I have to roll the pushrods on a piece of glass and see if any got gonzo`ed :|

But it'll have to wait. I'm sick of having a wrench in my hand 18 hours a day..... Feet are up, I have remote in hand.
See ya's later.......... *

I got that 509 cam in the new engine I built with the Eddy heads. I haven't fired it up yet, but now I'm wondering if I should change it out. That the 3rd cam thats been in that engine and it has even been started once :roll:

mike ,checkout the lunati voodoo 305 cam and use banana groove adjusters ,its a great, super fast ramping cam and blows away the mp .509 284 int 292 exh dur. at .050 242 int 252 exh, .533 intake lift .552 exhaust stay with the 1.5s

I appreciate the reply, but this post is over 3 yrs. old....

I have a Comp Cams .488/.491 dual pattern in it now. Yet to fire it up.....

-
Back