Initial timing set @ 30*. Engine seems happy?

-
timing first , then carb adjustment .after your timing is all squared away, then you can play with the carburetor. if you bounce back and forth , its like a dog chasing his tail
if it is running good , then why mess with it?
I don't even own a timing light
if it is not "pinging" when you are in the throttle, then you are not too advanced
what exactly is the "running hot" temperature? I think that is a separate cooling issue myself from what you are telling us

It gets hot enough to spew coolant. I was thinking it has more to do with the old factory radiator without a shroud and the crappy chrome aftermarket fan.

The next "big" thing on the list is a better radiator and electric fans.

In response to post25; yes, yes, yes and maybe.First verify TDC with the aformentioned pistonstop ( this is the foundation).Next/2nd set initial( with vacuum advance disabled). 3rd set idle rpm. 4th adjust power timing(also called all-in, or total mechanical).5th reconnect and tune the vacuum advance for driveability and economy.This is the basic tune.Earlier posters gave excellent starting numbers.

wheres crackedback at LOL

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

timing first , then carb adjustment .after your timing is all squared away, then you can play with the carburetor. if you bounce back and forth , its like a dog chasing his tail
if it is running good , then why mess with it?

Yep.

Most mopars with an RV style cam run fine with 15-20 initial. Without a vacuum gauge, it's hard to take a guess at it with a timing light. If it starts easily when hot with 30* of initial, somethig is screwey.

Verify your timing mark is in fact correct.

Find how much total (without vacuum hooked up) you have and when it's all in. Rev it up until it stops advancing. Not at some predetermined number many throw around, like 2500-3000.

-
Back