Initial timing

-
Stock initial timing spec is probably 4 degrees BTDC. But if you want to know for sure, go over to mymopar.com and download a factory service manual.

Set total to 38 and then check the initial. If it is 0BTDC or more you're good for a stock /6
I don't know the engine year but the engine have the no tubes sparkplug,I think it's 76 and up,this engine has been change by the former owner,I have a point distributor since its in my 66 valiant

3 different dist auto ,manual and feather duster 3 different base timing dist number is important. Parts got mixed up all the time

Here's what you're gonna have to do. Get a timing light. Set the timing to 2 degrees at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected and that hose from the carburetor plugged. Now with the light on the balancer, run the engine up until you see the mechanical advance stop advancing. Subtract your 2 degree initial figure from "whatever" that total is. Say if the distributor stops advancing at 3500 RPM at 28 degrees, then you have 30 total. Understand? You're gonna have to do it that way, to see "which" distributor is in there and how much mechanical advance is in that distributor. My stock 170 ran its best at 12 degrees initial at idle, but I had to limit the total to 30 degrees. I tried 15 initial at idle, but it ran better at 12. If you have a way to limit the total to "around" 30 give or take, they usually perform better with more initial timing than the factory spec.......but "I" would see what's in the distributor FIRST. It appears it could be several different things, so you're gonna have to find out.

Do you know the initial timing for a 1976 225 slant 6? Takes time to look this stuff up,after that effort you tell us you have point distributor,waste of my time. If it is 76 engine what carb and number some carbs were manifold vacuum .that will affect timing

-
Back