Input bushing woes

-

harvenator

A fish called Wanda
Reaction score
I've finished building a 273 that was an automatic. Crank appeared to be drilled for an input shaft bushing. I went through 3 stock style bushings before realizing that the hole in the crank wasn't drilled and finished large enough for the stock bushing.
I ordered an undersize bushing from NAPA and got the last one in the country. Drove that one in and the input shaft I use to line every thing up wouldn't fit in that one.
Got with Wayne Brewer from Brewer's Performance and he suggested one of his bushings that rides in the big hole where the torque converter would go. The one he sent is for a 1.8" hole and mine is smaller. He also told me he'd seen a crank with about .009 offcenter on the pilot shaft hole from automatics so I need to use a dial indicator to check that.
IF I get lucky and the run out is less than a few thousandths I'm going to use a brake hone of it's small enough to hone the undersize bushing I already have. IF the run out is too much I'm at a loss for what to try next.
Suggestions?

Well, I couldn't get a wheel cylinder hone in it so I used the dremel with a bunch of polishing brushes. It took some time but I now have the smoothest input bushing on earth and the trans finally slides in..

Some auto cranks are not drilled DEEP enough, either. One popular fix used to be to simply cut the bevel (about 3/8") off the input shaft of the box. Make sure you measure from the face of the bell and have enough clearance.

-
Back