Input rollers misplaced

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
A hypothetical: Suppose, while placing the 833 mainshaft into the input gear, a roller is displaced. What's a guess as to how long it would take to feel/know/find out that happened?

I had my 833 apart 30 years ago and maybe made that error. The car is rarely driven..and rarely in this instance means considerably less than 1000 miles a year. I posted earlier about an 833 noise which may be the front bearing. Not referring to that thread here...isn't the point of the question.

If a roller gets nudged out of position, might that go unnoticed for a long time with such low mileage?

I did not consider my earlier disassy to possibly be the source of the noise I've got. Indeed, my recollection was that the 833 currently IN the car was NOT the same 833 that I took apart. I've pondered that I am possibly wrong about that.

I had zero problems placing the mainshaft back then. I moved the sliders around a bit, but the mainshaft went into place with no trouble at all.

If it gets bumped, the shaft sliding into that one will not go in all the way. As for 1k per year that would be 30,000miles more or less .
I think you would had known as shifter forks would not work and line up properly.

Now with that said, I’ve seen those needle bearings disintegrate and can see and hear that noise. That causes a lot of play and possibly a broken brass fork.
Pictures please when you decide to open it up.

If it gets bumped, the shaft sliding into that one will not go in all the way.
I've not done it that I know of, but I've read that there is room for TWO rollers in the cavity of the input shaft...that two of them can sit there after being displaced and you won't know it from anything you can see.

The 1000 miles a year was meant to be taken in the extreme. More likely never been 1000 miles in any year, let alone every year. 100 miles fits 'Considerably less than...' 1000 miles a year and there have been more than a few of them.

I'll try a Brewer's parts kit. If I see/find anything of note when I take it apart, I will post some pics.

-
Back