Inside of metal panel coating?

-

MoparMike_87

"Sh'Dynasty. That's S H comma-to-the-top Dynasty."
Reaction score
Hello to all and thank you in advance for your input.

I have to put my quarters back on my Barracuda fastback and realized that the inside of the panels are bare... is it ok to leave them bare or do you all use any kind of coating? I would assume that I should paint them: primer/base coat, before installing them to prevent future rust... The same is to be asked about my lower windshield cowling, or the portion that the wipers come up through.

I have to put my quarters back on my Barracuda fastback and realized that the inside of the panels are bare... is it ok to leave them bare or do you all use any kind of coating? I would assume that I should paint them: primer/base coat, before installing them to prevent future rust... The same is to be asked about my lower windshield cowling, or the portion that the wipers come up through.

I spray the crap out of them with undercoating.

I did primer/base coat. Cleared the whole trunk as best I could after install.

All the suggestions are good. You definitely what to get some type of paint on them whether it be primer or por 15. Besides that I would look into a chemical call cavity coater by KBS coatings. Other companies sell it to under different names. It is basically a spayable paraffin wax that creeps into any crevices . I use it on the insides of rockers, quarters, door frames and hood frames etc. Basically anywhere I am uncertain about full paint coverage. I am doing a full resto on 60 Dart Phoenix right now and have used it on any panels I replaced or stripped. I use about 5-6 aerosol can on each vehicle I do.

Cavity Coater

Thanks
James From
PST

it sounds as though you haven't hung them on, yet. And you called them quarters, so I'm assuming rear quarters. If this is correct, they will have to be welded, yes? I can't recall right now what it is called, but I've read there is a weld-thru primer that the pros use, that protects the sheet metal but does not interfere with welding. After they are in place, then I would epoxy primer the sheet metal. After that, I would use undercoating, or rhynoliner on the backside of the broader trunk areas, like the factory did, to dampen drumming noises, and strengthen the rigidity of the sheet metal. Of course, you can top coat it with body color, as you wish.

Weld through primer, what i prefer to use. Undercoating if i can get at it.

Save yourself some money and get good ole rustoleum stop rust paint.The go over it with rustoleum under coating lays down great.You dont even have to sand the stop rust paint before applying the under coating.You think of rustoleum as being a cheap paint but it has been around for years and there is a reason for that.I tried all the high dollar crap like eastwood

Save yourself some money and get good ole rustoleum stop rust paint.The go over it with rustoleum under coating lays down great.You dont even have to sand the stop rust paint before applying the under coating.You think of rustoleum as being a cheap paint but it has been around for years and there is a reason for that.I tried all the high dollar crap like eastwood
I will check them out! I didn't even think about them but now that you mention it, I agree! They have been around for longer that I have and there are plenty of good reasons behind that.

I use the gooey black tar stuff where painting it isnt necessary, and pro form paintable for the rocker panels or where i want paint.

image.jpg
Like this? I opted to replace it, as it was on a 318 van engine tangled in amongst the a/c stuff.

Lol, yup. Dont know how i did that

The OEMs used acoustical products to dampen harmonics. When vehicles are running down the road they create vibrations (harmonics) in all areas of the vehicle. Some harmonics are considered good but most are very bad. In some areas of the car the harmonics are more noticeable. When an OEM applies
a dampening product in a certain area you know that there is a reason for it so it's a good idea to replace the material when you are doing a restoration or upgrade. . You car and your body will thank you for it in the long run..

BTW - using solid seat mounts under a racing seat is not good for the kidneys if your running the vehicle for any length of time such as in street car applications..

The OEMs used acoustical products to dampen harmonics. When vehicles are running down the road they create vibrations (harmonics) in all areas of the vehicle. Some harmonics are considered good but most are very bad. In some areas of the car the harmonics are more noticeable. When an OEM applies
a dampening product in a certain area you know that there is a reason for it so it's a good idea to replace the material when you are doing a restoration or upgrade. . You car and your body will thank you for it in the long run..

BTW - using solid seat mounts under a racing seat is not good for the kidneys if your running the vehicle for any length of time such as in street car applications..

This is some great advice handed down to a newbie (ME). Thank you!

I also wanted to ask you, what would you recommend to use as a dampening product?

Inner fenders, undercarriage, and quarter panels both on a notchback and a fastback.

Thank you!

Inner fenders, undercarriage, and quarter panels both on a notchback and a fastback.

Thank you!

Mike,

3M - make an excellent product line of acoustic and harmonics dampening products. To some degree the product helps to reduce sound transfer or sound deadening too. The product is called "Body Schutz". The material maintains it's elasticity while providing protection from road abrasion and harmonics (vibrations).

I hope this helps.

Good luck with your project.

sscuda

-
Back