instal new leaf springs

-

two_70darts

Reaction score
kinda embarising but must ask im putting in new hd springs oin my /6 did it before but its been 20 plus any way what is the seq. of removal car on jacks all corners have air tools not that there helping u bolts around axle are stuck something ferice will cut them off first then u bolt ends ?please a little assist would be cool also have jack under pumkin:happy10:

I put the jack stands under the rear frame rails and the floor jack under the pumpkin. Unbolt the rear shackle and lower the rear down. Then unbolt one set of U bolts, Then the loosen the big front spring eye bolt, you wont be able to remove the bolt until the spring is out of the car. remove the 4 nuts that hold the front spring hanger in. pull the spring out.

Now bolt the front hanger to the spring and bolt the front hanger and spring assembly in.

Next remove and replace the other side. Jack the rear back up and bolt the rear shackles back up.

If you happen to decide to unbolt the U bolts before the rear shackle, MAKE SURE you've got jack stands under the leafs! Otherwise they're gonna slam down to the ground as soon as they're disconnected from the axle.

I just removed the rear springs & rear end in my Scamp this afternoon (http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=32210).

Be sure to spray the various nuts/bolts (front hanger nuts x4 on each side, rear hanger bolts x 2 on each side, rear shackle nuts x 2 on each side) a couple of times in the days leading up to removing the springs. I can't comment on how tough it will be to get the u-bolts nuts off but that seems to be what everyone says is the hardest part of the job. Next unbolt the rear hangers first, then remove the nuts from the front hangers. Then you can slide the springs back and out of the car. You should not need air tools for this job though. Keep the jack under the pumpkin for the entire process.

Me, I do one side at a time.
Jack stands under frame.
Jack under pumpkin.
unbolt u-bolt.
remove rear shackle fasteners.
remove front hanger.
reverse to install new spring.
Repeat for other side.
This hold everything together while you work a side.
(Put this in in a hurry. check for accuracy before proceeding.)
And a 3/4 inch impact does wonders for the u-bolts.

Oh, did anyone mention that you don't tighten the front and read fasteners till you have the car sitting. Since you don't want to load the rubber bushings up and make them twisty?
Note that Chrysler but the big front hangar bolt in from the direction where it hits the frame like someone said.

-
Back