Install headliner

-

slim17265

Reaction score
or send to professional? this is for a 68 Coronet and it is fabric and from what I understand with bows. and from what I read elsewhere can be a trying experience. I would like to hear from people that have already tried it. I have 50 years experience restoring these but have never done headliner, but am very handy with tools. thanx

I ws dreading mine, and i'm happy with the way mine turned out. it's the only one i've ever done, and the only thing i'm unhappy with is my stretching job at the bottom sides of the rear window. i was getting tired and my fingers hurt by the time I got there, so i just did my best instead of being patient and waiting for another day.

I also found that to replace the cardboard panels in the sail panel area, the 3/16" (roughly) thick foam craft board in the school supply section of Wal-Mart works marvelously well.

this is the only headliner pic i have....kinda crappy.
site1006.JPG

Headliners are pretty much straight foward. I have come up with a few tricks over the years. I put the bows throught the listings and pop them into the roofrail. Then I use push on windlace to hold it on the sides before I start glueing anything. I do all my cuting, stretching, fitting and so on, then I remove the push on windlace and start glueing. Before I started using the windlace I used clothes pins which will also work but with the windlace you can hold the entire side tight. Also, either take measurements for the coat hoats, seatbelt ancors, sunvisors and so on, or you could just put a piece of tape under the holes you need and use that as a guide. Once everything is glued, install your mouldings, visors, coathooks and you are done. Be careful when cuting the hole for your dome light and wireing...remeber smaller cuts can be made bigger, bigger cuts can't be made smaller. Also, are you installing any insulation to the roof first ? I have intalled dozens of headliners useing this technique and have been happy with the results....good luck.

OH....i put the screws that hold the visors, mirror, garment hooks, and dome light back in. makes them easiest to find where to cut. I didn't have to make more than a 1/2" slit anywhere to get the screws accessible. You need to make sure your dome light wire is right where the dome light will be. otherwise, you may be fishing with a coat hanger for it.

I used the aluminized insulation like Summit sells. Just cut out pieces to fit between the roof supports and use spray adhesive to stick it. That stuff actually makes a big difference.

If your headliner comes all folded up in box and you live where it`s cold, I`d make sure you lay it out for a few days in a warm place with weight on it. Those folds will take a long time to completely disappear if you don`t, no matter how tight you stretch it. Take lots of measurements beforehand so you can find your belt holes,coat hangers,etc and leave the listings as long as you can,only cutting enough off to get it in the bow hanger.Warm weather, a good quality glue, patience, and a friend with strong hands will help a lot. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

-
Back