Installed a new winch on my old trailer today

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After seeing @sireland67 post on this subject, it made me get off my *** and take on this project for myself. Not only to make life easier for Miss "T" when she comes with me on parts car picking.

Went to HF and got a 12000# steel cable unit. On sale and with my insider membership I picked it up for under $300..
$66 for some C channel and $200 for a fricken battery at the Zone..

20240716_151114.jpg

20240716_151043.jpg

20240716_151051.jpg

That will work, I have mine mounted to the trailer deck, because I have a tounge box for straps etc.

Had o fab up a platform to mount winch and keep some storage for my junk underneath. Got it all put together today and it actually works! That always a great thing .

20240716_201853.jpg

20240716_201934.jpg

20240716_201912.jpg

I bought a plastic battery box but it was too tall ,so I'll have to figure something else out there.

My trailer hadem on all 4 corners. What do I need to know about the D rings?

Did you get the wireless kit for it? I did and it is wonderful. When you need to replace the cable, put nylon rope on it.

Last edited:
Did you get the wireless kit for it? I did and it is wonderful. When you need to replace the cable, put nylon rope on it.
I got the wired remote, I'll always have a helper with me. Iwas afraid I would tear up the rope cable, so that's why I got the cable unit.

Looks like your settling in on the homestead! Well done.
Hey there Dave ! I have a couple cars to pickup and was tired up beating Theresa and myself up for that matter.
Ya, we're getting settled in a little bit.. Still unpacking all our stuff we drug home from the mountains last week. We were dreading the haul out from up there. But thanks to our buddy @JDMopar we get it all loaded in one day. .

Here's a pick of JD backing my loaded small trailer onto my car hauler.. Saved a little time doing that.

IMG_20240716_214501.jpg

IMG_20240716_214409.jpg

I got parts from a trailer parts place and made a pair of C channel brackets on the bottom of mine that lock into shackles and grade 8 9/16" bolts on the tongue.....so it's removeable and can be stored out of the weather.

I had contemplated the class III winch bracket that can go between the trailer and the truck, but what I made cost about $20 and doesn't add slack.

Nice work Al! I bet that'll make things a lot easier!

Nice job. D rings definitely would be a plus. I think you should make a cover like HemiSSDart did to keep some of the elements out.
1721214615489.png

-
Back