Installed a new winch on my old trailer today

-
My trailer already has 4 D rings

20240717_071935.jpg

20240717_071921.jpg

Your scaring me. What problems do the have ?
Just get one that far exceeds your needs. The 12k you have should never get over taxed doing standard vehicle recovery. Treat it right, out of the weather, good connections, and DONT exceed the pull time. I *think* it’s 15 minutes rest between 45 seconds of use. A car moves a long way in 45 seconds. I would imagine a very light load (good rolling chassis) you could exceed the 45 seconds a bit.

Your scaring me. What problems do the have ?
See my posts in Kern Dogs other winch thread, #35, 41, and others. (Let's hear your suggestions for a winch for a car trailer)
I'm proba;ly gonna buy a Warn american made M8000 from Advance/car quest for a bit under $700 (jegs wants over $1200 for the same part#).
Warn also sells Chinese winches, for about half that.
Then I can throw away my third or fourth dead or dying HF winch.

I had a HF marine winch that lasted over 10 years.....stored outside in FL rain.

My "new" one is a standard style. It's about 6 years old but I don't use one like I used to.
Probably a good thing you didn't get the wireless remote.
Mine failed after not quite a year, and now I have to swap the wires around to get it to reel out/in.
I can fix it with a switch array, but haven't got around to it.

Hey guys ,I just want to make sure I wired my winch battery correctly. I have a small junction box on my trailer tongue be fed from the 7 way plug on my truck. Inside there is a 12 volt hot and a separate ground. I ran a couple 10 gauge wire from those to my battery for the winch. Am I good to go ?
20240718_191843.jpg

It should work to charge the battery just fine. If you have a volt meter, start the truck up with everything connected and you should be reading 13 or 14 volts at the trailer battery. What's weird is....I crawled all over that trailer and moved the wooden blocks in and out of the trailer tongue a dozen times the other day, and I never even noticed that winch!! :realcrazy:

:rofl:

It should work to charge the battery just fine. If you have a volt meter, start the truck up with everything connected and you should be reading 13 or 14 volts at the trailer battery. What's weird is....I crawled all over that trailer and moved the wooden blocks in and out of the trailer tongue a dozen times the other day, and I never even noticed that winch!! :realcrazy:

:rofl:
That's because it wasn't there. You're alright !
I just installed it a couple days ago.

Susan did, but she got back home on Tuesday. Thurman had to get a recheck on his eyes at the vet on Wednesday, plus we had to go renew our gun permits. She's going back in a few days and me and the dogs are staying here to work in the garage....lol.

I believe the in-transit charging is not possible with “smart alternators”. I don’t know what those are but I know they are on sale me if not all newer trucks. They sell a product, maybe a capacitor device, that will allow a smart alternator equipped truck to charge an accessory battery.
I have an ‘01 so I didn’t look into it any further.

Smart alternator vs Fixed alternator

I hope the drum/ cross ties have enough clearance. I have an HF, forget what rating. You have to watch and level wind it like a hawk or the wire will pile up and bind in the cross ties. I have mine on a 2" receiver mount, and THAT is mighty handy at times. I was going to build but then found, a short receiver at HF with a ring, so you can lay the winch out and use it "in line" for some jobs.

I spent most of my life "leap frogging" a pair of come-a-longs and have loaded some aweful stuff by hand. The worst was when I bought a junk van for the 360/ auto and the rear axle was locked. Had to use soap and water and SKID that ***** onto the trailer, no fun at all on a hot day. And I was a LOT younger, then, too!!

I have had my 12k lb hb winch for over 10 years with no issues at all. I finally bought some long winch jumper cables and just run them to the front of my truck. Got tired of dead battery on trailer.

-
Back