Installed rebuilt 318. My friend wants me to use lucas breakin additive.

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Here's the story: about 6 years ago this engine was rebuilt by a dirtbag. I didn't know he was a dirtbag until last year when I found out how much was wrong with the engine. So, a friend and I removed the engine ourselves, had a trustworthy machine shop sleeve a cylinder and hone all of them, and we installed a new crank, new bearings, a new piston, 3 new rods and all new rings. Put the engine back together and now it is in the car.

We haven't ran it more than a minute yet. My friend wants me to use lucas breakin additive. I think it's a load of crap. What say you?

The cam, lifters, etc. are the same from before- already broken in. Only new items are crank, bearings, 1 new piston, 3 new rods, 1 cylinder sleeve, all cylinders honed and all new rings.

IMO, a good idea even though the cam is broken in prior. The rest of the parts could use a little bit of protection. You could also run Brad Penn oil with out the additive since the oil is designed this way.

um, did you have the rotating assembly balanced? Any time you are changing pistons or rods, you should have that done... especially if just one piston or a few rods.... I always use some breakin oil on new engines.... you may have the same cam but new rings on freshly honed cylinders

Agreed. Then again, a little bottle in addition can't hurt. But I agree, with Daredevil.

I always err on the safe side...
cost of engine vs cost of the breakin oil
doesn't hurt to add vs might be OK without.

I say err on the safe side. Leave the Lucas alone.

-
Back