installing a vinyl top on a non vinyl top car

-

demon67

Reaction score
I am adding a full vinyl top to my Demon which came without a vinyl top. Would like to know what holds the vinyl chrome trim on both sides of the rear quarter. is it a pin welded on the body or clips like the front and back windshield? I have the vinyl chrome trim bought and wondering what else I need. Does anyone have pictures and maybe measurements? Thanks for the help everyone.

Can's say about a Demon but on my 67 Barracuda the SS trim has adjustable pins in the trim channel that go through the body below the rear glass and are fastened on the inside of the trunk opening with speednuts.

Check out this auction, those are the clips that go on the ends. Depending on what year your car is it may use these in all locations. You can certainly use them in all locations if you want. The change was made to those spot weld studs because it was cheaper. I dont like the weld on studs simply because the metal tends to rust around the stud.
Barracuda Duster Dart Valiant vinyl top clips nuts

These are the type of plastic clips that go on the weld (or screw) in studs. The trim slides over these clips.
75-85 NOS Chrysler Body Side Belt Vinyl Top Moulding Molding Trim Clips 10pcs R | eBay

Sorry I cant help with measurments. I have a swinger, not a duster. However the trim will attach the same. Good to see another vinyl top fan. I love vinyl tops on some cars. I think Darts look great with them. Dusters look good with or without. Im not too keen on the half top though.

Check out this auction, those are the clips that go on the ends. Depending on what year your car is it may use these in all locations. You can certainly use them in all locations if you want. The change was made to those spot weld studs because it was cheaper. I dont like the weld on studs simply because the metal tends to rust around the stud.
Barracuda Duster Dart Valiant vinyl top clips nuts

These are the type of plastic clips that go on the weld (or screw) in studs. The trim slides over these clips.
75-85 NOS Chrysler Body Side Belt Vinyl Top Moulding Molding Trim Clips 10pcs R | eBay

Sorry I cant help with measurments. I have a swinger, not a duster. However the trim will attach the same. Good to see another vinyl top fan. I love vinyl tops on some cars. I think Darts look great with them. Dusters look good with or without. Im not too keen on the half top though.
I have a 72 Demon. So these spring clips must be drilled through and the nuts attach from the underside? I am not a fan of half vinyl roof, only full vinyl.

Yes, the spring clips have a shaft that goes through the sheet metal and a stamped steel nut that goes on the underside. I will get some pics of my car so you can see the holes.

Yes, the spring clips have a shaft that goes through the sheet metal and a stamped steel nut that goes on the underside. I will get some pics of my car so you can see the holes.
That would be awesome Mike. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

What paint color and what vinyl color? I am VERY fond of F8 green with white vinyl roofs.

Here is a shot right below the quarter to roof seam. The first hole on the right is larger and is for one of the spring clips. There should be one of these on each end of every piece of trim. The smaller holes are for the screws that replace the weld on studs.

Image1.jpg

What paint color and what vinyl color? I am VERY fond of F8 green with white vinyl roofs.
I am going with a black vinyl roof. The original colour of my car is FY1, Top Banana but I am leaning towards FJ6, Sassy Grass Green.

Here is a shot right below the quarter to roof seam. The first hole on the right is larger and is for one of the spring clips. There should be one of these on each end of every piece of trim. The smaller holes are for the screws that replace the weld on studs.

View attachment 1715079924
Awesome, thanks Mike. Looks like the holes are about 6 to 8 inches apart?

The side pieces have holes spaced around 6" apart. The ones that go across the deck filler are about 11" apart.

The side pieces have holes spaced around 6" apart. The ones that go across the deck filler are about 11" apart.
This is on your Dart, correct? Since mine is a Demon, I would most likely be good going 6" apart on the side pieces.

yes, mine is a swinger. You just need one on the ends and roughly every 6 inches inbetween. Once you figure out where the ends need to be you can use the trim to find where the others will go.

yes, mine is a swinger. You just need one on the ends and roughly every 6 inches inbetween. Once you figure out where the ends need to be you can use the trim to find where the others will go.
Exactly my plans. Thanks for the help Mike and once I get it done, I will post some pics.

-
Back