Installing axel seals

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Im over at a friends helping him install front axel seals on his 250. Passenger side popped right in but the drivers side will not go in even. Right now we have a piece of all thread rigged up with one large washer pulling on the seal and the other side it pushing on the outside of the axel tube. We tighten a nut to pull the seal in but it always gets hung up at the top. We have cleaned it and even sanded it but it will not go in.

Pictures of the redneck rig.

0EF6F452-171D-4F13-9535-A2BA9543E234.jpeg

Pic of the seal?
Check the bore for roundness with something just a shade smaller in diameter,centered in the bore.

My buddy threw in the towel for the day so I left. The new seal is now trashed also. He can get ahold of the proper tool to install them next week so he is going to hold off until he gets it. I brought up the possibility that maybe the tube is no longer round but he seemed convinced that our homemade tool was the issue.

Did u try tapping it in to start it straight? I used to put those in with just a hammer and a large flat washer. Kim

Yep. Tried washer the same size, bigger, and smaller. Did that by itself for a solid hour today.

I love it when a plan comes together. Sometimes walking away for a while is the best thing to do. Congrats.

-
Back