Installing camshaft bearings

-

Thrasher

YoungestMemberUALocal7
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good website for directions on proper cam bearing installation, or does anyone wanna give me some? I have a motor with the crank and everything still in it, and rather than take everything apart and take it to the shop I'd rather do it myself with the heads and everything still on. I bought the engine (360) from my old man, and he said that it was lacking oil pressure after a rebuild... :angry7:

I have a few books here on rebuilding/hot rodding/stroking small blocks and everyone says the cam bearings should be installed at an engine shop.

Cam bearings are easy to install if you have the tool. I wouldn't attempt it without the tool though.

I did it in my garage. Easy to do, easyto screw up. Buy two sets of bearings, one parctice, one for the job. Sounds expensive? Buying 2 sets? Then let the machinest do it and eat the possible cost of screwing it up.

Have the engine solidly mounted. In car is solid, but if at home, don't let it shake around easy.

Proper tool and a baby sledge hamer, have at it carefully. Learn how much power it takes to use with the hammer.

The tool should shelf algin the bearing for when you have it set up to be knocked in. Rear bearing first. Take note of the oil hole position on the bearing and in the journal. Not that they have to line up as best as possible. Also note that the bearings oil hole has only so much material on each side of the bearing. Not thickness, distance to the edge. It's not the same distance as the journal.
The bearing does not have to knocked in as far as you might thinck for the holes to line up.

If you screw up the bearings install,knockit to far in or poor alignment, the bearing is garbage and you'll need to try again. Ther a press fit.

Cam bearings are easy to install if you have the tool. I wouldn't attempt it without the tool though.

They are easy with the right tool AND experience. Doing it for the first time on an assembled engine is not something I would recommend.

I did it in my garage. Easy to do, easyto screw up. Buy two sets of bearings, one parctice, one for the job. Sounds expensive? Buying 2 sets? Then let the machinest do it and eat the possible cost of screwing it up.

Have the engine solidly mounted. In car is solid, but if at home, don't let it shake around easy.

Proper tool and a baby sledge hamer, have at it carefully. Learn how much power it takes to use with the hammer.

The tool should shelf algin the bearing for when you have it set up to be knocked in. Rear bearing first. Take note of the oil hole position on the bearing and in the journal. Not that they have to line up as best as possible. Also note that the bearings oil hole has only so much material on each side of the bearing. Not thickness, distance to the edge. It's not the same distance as the journal.
The bearing does not have to knocked in as far as you might thinck for the holes to line up.

If you screw up the bearings install,knockit to far in or poor alignment, the bearing is garbage and you'll need to try again. Ther a press fit.
I was wondering about how far they go in... then I read your post about the oil holes. I borrowed the tool from a guy I work with, and popped the old ones out and installed the new ones VERY CAREFULLY. Made sure They went in square, lined up the oil holes perfectly, approached it with the attitude that I had all the time in the world and they came out just fine :cheers::cheers::cheers: Thanks again for all the suggestions, it made it so much easier :notworth: That's one more thing I know how to do... now I just have to learn how to take apart a rearend and I'm in halfway not that bad shape.

AAAAA Thrasher, great news!!!!! Excellent. Your right, thats one more thing under your belt.
Rears are not hard ethier. Just tedious when you don't do them alot. Or rarley. It's bveen way to looooong since I have done one. I sent my last one out. To easy to do that but with over 50 miles back to my house to even attempt doing anything... well, luck would have it I was down the block from my old mechanics garage in my old stomping grounds.

Done in a day!

-
Back