Installing CD player

-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
I got one of those CD player bundles, with a pioneer deck and 4 speakers.I am installing it in my 66 Dart,already have it mounted in the dash.

How should I wire this up? Can I use the existing radio power wire for the switched 12v? How about the cigar lighter for the constant 12v?I no longer have the cigar lighter installed anyway.

This is my first stereo install, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not certain the 66 is same as 67 up but... red is radio power, orange is illumination, yellow is dome lamp and can be radio memory. These colors are usually the same on aftermarket head units. You can use the lighter well circuit for the memory but there is a lot of current available there. A inline fuse of minimal wire gauge and fuse rating after the tap would be good just for safety concerns. Hope this helps

That helps a lot!

Since I do not listen to the radio, could I just not hook up the constant 12v?

Thank you RedFish

I would use the old radio power source, since it is switched. (Radio will turn on when the key is turned and turn off when the engine is turned off) The newer CD players draw less current that the old AM radios, plus your CD player would be fused twice.

The memory constant wire also keeps the audio settings as well. Basically anything you want the radio to remember for the next time you turn it on. I recommend that you hook it up to a constant power source. You can however hook it to the switched source if you want and it will play. Get fuse taps and run wires to the fuse block if you don't want to splice into factory wires.

Thanks guys, this is my first install and I just don't want to mess up!

The car no longer has a cigar lighter, so I am not opposed to just cutting off its connector and running it right to the radio. Then could I just run like a 10 or 15 amp fuse in the fuse block for it, or should I get an inline fuse?

Awesome, thank you for all the help guys. Im going to dive in, will post my progress later.

Jared

It works! and sounds great for just a pair of 6x9's in the package tray. Thanks again for all the help.

I just went through this with my 66 Dart GT.

I didn't like the sound coming from the rear only and as my player had Bluetooth with a built in phone connection I needed some sort of speaker(s) in the front.

I briefly considered using the original dash speaker but getting to it was a bit of a mission so I made some new front kick panels with some 4 inch speakers.

The size of the speakers mean that they do not get in the way of driver and passenger feet and they balance out the sound as well as working great for hands free mobile phone use. (It is illegal to use a hand held phone while driving where I live.)

I left the original non working radio in place and built a console to mount the new stereo.

The hot rod sitting in the console is a USB stick with music on it.

-
Back